GO!

emotional support sevice dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 1:32pm PST 
i want my dog for emotional support by washington state law he can live in no pet housing but can he be out everywhere with me i suffer from deperseeion and socil phobia
[notify]
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 1:43pm PST 
You are combining two different jobs a dog can hold.

Service Dog: Performs a minimum of three tasks to that mitigate an ADA defined disability in handler. They have full public access rights and cannot be denied access.

Emotional Support Animal/Dog: Can be any breed or size and does not have to conform to any set rule from apartments or landlords under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), but do NOT have access rights.

Hope that clears stuff up for you.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 3:53pm PST 
As the other poster wrote, there is a difference between an emotional support animals and a service dog.

I'm including a couple of links that has more information about both. I hope this helps!

Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
Fair Housing Information Sheet #6

Right to Emotional Support Animals in "No Pet" Housing
http://www.bazelon.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=mHq8GV0FI4 c%3d&tabid=268

Definition of Service Animals from U.S. Department of Justice
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
[notify]

Baja

You're like two- sides of the- same coin

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 4:21pm PST 
Maddox, a service dog does is not required to perform at least 3 tasks, it is only 1 that is required.
OP, you just posted that you want to train your lab mix puppy to be a service dog but you don't seem to have done any research on what the difference between an emotional support animal and a service dog is or if you qualify to have one. In order to qualify to have a service dog you have to be disabled under the ADA. If you meet the definition of that then you can think of tasks to train your dog that will help mitigate your disability. If you do not have a disability then your dog would not qualify as an emotional support animal. I hope this helps.

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/dduspetsandhousinglaws. htm

http://www.ada.gov/pubs/adastatute08.htm
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 8:49am PST 
Merlin, the law has been revised. One task is no longer acceptable, it must be three.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 10:04am PST 
The "Three task" requirement is not included in the Americans with Disabilities Act nor in the definition of a SD from the Department of Justice.

Not all disabilities need three types of work or tasks for mitigation.
[notify]
Cooper

microscopic mutt

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 4:33pm PST 
Charlie, the current version of the law is here:

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleIII_2010/titleIII_2010_regulati ons.htm (omit spaces)

If you read it, you'll find that it says nothing about three tasks.
[notify]
Onyx, SD

Legitimate- Mobility Dog

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 8:05am PST 
The 3-task standard comes from Assistance Dogs International minimum training standards, developed by their standards and ethics committee. To to receive and maintain accreditation through ADI, programs must train service dogs to reliably perform a minimum of 3 tasks, and additionally, the new handler must receive sufficient training and demonstrate the ability to utilize those 3 tasks to mitigate their disability. Since accreditation is voluntary programs and doesn't exist at all for private or owner trainers, the level of training a service dog receives really comes down to the ethics and standards of the individual trainer.

Where the ADA is concerned, one would think the repeated and persistent use of the plural form of "tasks" in the language of the law would be enough to make it clear that training a single task doesn't pass muster with the ADA either. But, the ADA seem to be the vortex of the universe, where normal sensibilities cease to exist, so until the DOJ issues official guidance on the "work and tasks" topics, they will continue to be an ongoing argument among interested parties.
[notify]
Josephine

Yeah, I can do- that, but I- won't!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 10:17am PST 
yes.. ADI lives in their own world and they make it sound like their interpretation is the actual requirement. It bothers me, but well..
Like the prior posters said, look at the interpretation of the ADA, which the Department of Justice provides.
The dog has to be able to mitigate a disability through task(s) or work. It's a bit of a word game.

ESA have housing rights, but no public access rights. Except for San Francisco. All dogs, ESA and SDs have the same rights.
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 1:00pm PST 
The mitigation of the disability is the important thing, not the number of tasks or types of work required to mitigate the disability.
[notify]