GO!

how to train my pup to be service dog?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 1:27pm PST 
i have a lab mix very sweet named sugenite he is 4months but my problem is he likes to jump up when excited and also he whines when staying in one place like the nus need help
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 3:02pm PST 
At 4 months, your pup is at best a SD-Candidate. You should really only be socializing him in places where pets are welcome and be working on housebreaking and basic obedience. Once those are mastered, then you can start with short training trips into public places, BUT ONLY IF YOUR STATE LAW ALLOWS FOR SDITs TO HAVE ACCESS.

Those early trips should be short and where you can concentrate on training. The pup isn't focused, you leave and call it a day. Pups have to be started slowly and built up.

Honestly, most people don't have what it takes to train their own SD and should leave it to professional trainers.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 4:06pm PST 
Owner training a service dog is a huge undertaking. If you are sure you want to owner/train, then I suggest finding a good trainer to guide you.

Not only must you train your dog to perform the work or tasks to mitigate your disability, you must train your dog to be steady, calm and comfortable in public.

The Psychiatric Service Dog Society has some information describing Service Dog and public access training.

PSDS Owner-Training Standard
http://psychdog.org/training_ownerstandard.html

Public Access Standard
http://psychdog.org/publicaccess.html

It is not something to be chosen lightly. This is not meant to discourage you, but to let you know what you would have ahead of you.

Best of luck to you!
[notify]

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 1:44pm PST 
If you can afford it and your puppy has had all of its shots, take it to puppy kindergarten classes. In these classes you and puppy will get the basics of puppy behavior set in place and have a place to start. Training a puppy to be a service dog is a long road, first you have to let it be a puppy and learn what a puppy needs to learn.
[notify]