GO!

Specific training for THERAPY dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:03pm PST 
Thanks Lilith and HD flowers
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 11:52pm PST 
It sounds like you have a good start. I would say keep up the socialization as she grows, add in a lot of different locations, sounds, surfaces, different types of people, etc to your socializing and you can start getting her comfortable around medical equipment as she gets older. Therapy dogs need to be comfortable around people who may look or act in unusual/different ways or have odd behavior.
Keep in mind puppies go through some fear periods as they grow so you will have to be aware of these and work around carefully.
At this age IMO socializing and a good foundation is most important, the obedience stuff is fairly simple to do if you have done the foundation work. Tricks and things are great to teach for therapy dogs too but you can work on that once you are sure she is going to be a good fit for therapy work.
I've read a good book on therapy dogs called "A Dog Who's Always Welcome" you might be interested in. I also recommend this website for info: http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/Therapy/index.html#overview

Edited by author Sat Oct 27, '12 12:02am PST

[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 4:12pm PST 
It sounds like you are on the right track, Star is a therapy dog with Pets On Wheels (TDI is not active in my area frown ).

I would suggest that you make sure you introduce her to new experiences and objects like walkers and wheelchairs. Make it positive, I go to a class where there is a boy in a wheelchair so Star was exposed to one at a very young age but make sure that you teach your pup not to run in front or jump onto the chair/walker. I started Star with a walker by just having one around (no person) and randomly moving it;By watching the test I have noticed that some dogs get nervous around walkers because they are loud.

Also get her used to being touched everywhere (especially feet and ears), you never know what a kid or elderly person might grab on your dog and you dont want any bad reactions. I have had kids try and sit on Star while she was laying down at a library for a reading program. I had a dementia patient at a nursing home that grabbed her ear and would not let go...this could have gone really bad if she didn't like her ears touched or was sensitive about certain parts of her body being touched.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2