GO!

ESA ages?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 5:07pm PST 
I live in an apartment complex that is no pet (except for ESA's or service animals), unless it is a 10 gallon or less aquarium of fish.

I keep seeing 8 week old puppies on property and I continue to get told they're ESA's. But I have a hard time believing that's possible.

What can an 8 week old puppy provide for it's owner as an ESA?

ETA: This is bothersome to me because many of these people (I talk to them when I don't have Bella out with me) will flat out admit they just have the dog for fun but were able to get their doctor to write it off for them as an ESA and that they are in fact not disabled.

The complex only requires a letter from your doctor to have the pet approved.

Edited by author Tue Oct 9, '12 9:00pm PST

[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 1:37am PST 
I've got an 8 week old puppy sleeping on my lap right now. 8 week old pups don't normally provide much "support". Instead, they make you crazy!

There could be some exceptions. My last puppy was a little angel from the day I brought him home at 8 weeks. and he actually did come over on his own to comfort me when I was feeling really bad a few times. He nosed my chin and put his paw on my arm. it was really sweet. He is extremely sensitive. Although he could not handle service dog work, I think he would be an awesome ESA.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 3:16am PST 
There is no age limit on ESAs just like there are no training requirements.

As far as What can an 8 week old puppy provide for it's owner as an ESA? The same thing an older dog provides. They need interaction and at that age, they tend to play hard then be a snuggle-bunny.

Plus.... (IMHO, FWIW) puppy breath contains pheromones that cause humans to produce oxytocin.

Edited by author Tue Oct 9, '12 3:17am PST

[notify]

Max-SD

https://www.face- book.com/Sequoia- sMaximum

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 9:19am PST 
I'm not concerned about the age. I'd be concerned that all these puppies are popping up and suddenly being called ESAs. Does your complex management know how someone qualifies to have an ESA or are they just taking the person's word?
[notify]
Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 10:41am PST 
The building we just moved into did not even question my need for a service dog or even imply they needed documentation, which rather surprised me, since they are a cat-only building (specified in their building information).

I'm glad they didn't put me through all of that, although I do have a current doctor's note for that possibility.

My daughter's dog is a Psychiatric Service Dog, as she has some issues that the dog has really helped her deal with. It's really been like night and day for her, and I'm really glad she has her now. cheer
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 6:11pm PST 
Like Scooter said, there are no age or training requirements for ESAs. In fact, as far as I know there are no species requirements for ESAs. They can be cats, rabbits, iguanas, birds, turtles...pretty much anything that you can legally keep as a pet without it becoming an unreasonable accommodation for the complex (ie, you want to keep a Clydesdale in a studio apartment).

The basic idea behind an ESA is that for the disabled owner, just owning and caring for a pet is therapeutic and mitigates their disability. The emotional support the pet provides is the same as any pet, but for the disabled owner this support is a crucial part of handling their disability. The ESA does not need to do anything unusual in order to accomplish this. That's why they don't have any particular requirements except that they can't be too destructive or unduly noisy.

If the presence of the puppies bothers you, you can remind your apartment management that they aren't obligated to allow ESAs for people who don't meet HUD requirements (ie, people who aren't disabled - a diagnosis is not necessarily the same as a disability). My guess is that they'd rather be lenient than risk a legal hassle, though.
[notify]
Chief- Majestix the- Impeccable

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 1:35pm PST 
ESAs are pets, owned by a disabled person. People with disabilities are allowed to have pets in non pet housing - these pets are considered ESAs..
There is no age limitation.
Best, sonja and the crew
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 1:09pm PST 
I think it's sad that people have to resort to getting a doctor's note simply to be allowed to live with a pet. We have so little dog-friendly housing where I live that should I ever lose my home, I'd be hard pressed to find an apartment that would accept my well-behaved 80 lb. dog. I will not ever surrender my dog, so you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd get whatever note it took to be able to live with my dog. And oh yes when she was an eight week old puppy she did more to improve the health of my mental state than any human of any age ever has. Quite frankly, she still does.

Instead of begrudging these people their ESAs, I'd be trying to get more pet-friendly rules in place. A ten gallon tank of fish!? That may count as a 'pet' to some people, but since you can't actually 'pet' them they don't fit that definition for me. They're more like furniture you gaze at; they're decorative not interactive. Since so many people are acquiring dogs, why not try to get rules in place that are more fair to a greater number of people regarding allowing pets?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 4:19pm PST 
Lucille...applauseapplauseapplause
[notify]
Cooper

microscopic mutt

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 5:00pm PST 
Funny, you hear all this stuff in the media against government regulation, then you come someplace like this and find people begging for more of it. I'm not trying to interject my own politics into this; I just find the discrepancy interesting.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2