GO!

Federal ADA law broken??

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 1:17am PST 
Not that I am aware of. I would have commented but ultimately what was said by others was everything I would have been able to give you as well. None of the interference would be covered by federal law. However you should look at HUD because I Do think you should be able to get Link covered as a service dog or an ESA under housing and that they can't bar him from living with you.

I'm really at a lack of words and which I would offer you better help.

Jeanene and Happy
[notify]
Mario

Its-ah Supah- Marrrio Time!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 2:54pm PST 
Thanks Happy, I kind of figured it was a state thing, I'm not sure why the ADA doesn't even address it though, I was hoping. I'm staying with a bunch of friends, one of which owns the condo, so it's his private home, and he doesn't have to let me even have Mario here. I'm extremely grateful he offered to let me stay here, because I was literally about to put an REI order through and just live in a tent with my SDs. Link came home for a break while his sheepdog trainer went to the finals as a "test drive" and he did pretty well. The only real problem is that it appears he's regressed back into some SA (I'd imagine due to the extreme stress of being separated from his handler, and seeing me battered, going to a bunch of new places, etc), and will let out a bark every 5 minutes if he's crated and thinks he's alone. But I dealt with that with him before when he was much younger, so I know how to work with it and am confident I can fix the behavior problem. However... one of the RMs are moving out mid December, and I'm going to take over the room. There is no lease though, so I don't think even then the condo owner legally HAS to let me have either of my SDs. However he was really happy with how Link behaved, and said he doesn't see a problem with it once I have my own room, so hopefully won't have to worry about that... Just have to wait until December.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 3:51am PST 
I believe the best way to handle this situation is going to be contacting a lawyer specializing in disability situations. He/She can help you get your equipment back and file a suit against the officers that harrassed you. Also, it is illegal to deny a disabled person's service dog access. You can have both dogs with you and legally unless they bite someone or something to that effect by law you can not be denied residence or entrance to any place. BOTH dogs. It doesn't say anywhere it's just for one dog. Also, a service dog in training is still a service dog. As long as the dog can perform one task that helps your condition in some way it can not be denied entrance or a home with you. Hope this helps some. Again, your best bet is going to be with a disability lawyer. Sorry your going thru this difficult situation. Hope it gets better very soon!

Autumn
Sheboygan Falls, WI
[notify]

Mario

Its-ah Supah- Marrrio Time!

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 12:58pm PST 
Thanks Autumn.... I feel like I just got advice from myself lol (my name is also Autumn hamster dance ) I am was referred to a lawyer that specializes as you described, by my disability advocate, and am hopefully working with them (things move so slowly).

I think the issue of whether I can have both SDs falls under the privately owned homes, churches, etc part of the ADA, who don't have to allow someone's SD. Plus I'm pretty sure you have to be on a lease, and the landlord would have to be renting to 3 or more people if I remember right under the ADA...
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 10:15am PST 
Hey, Mario; How sorry I am that you deal with this "Also." I can not even count the many ways I have been violated By so many people with ADA law being broken I don't even deal with it less it is in my face too long. I have had so much of it that I feel like I am just shutting down now.
I don't want to nor do I feel I have to explain to people that I don't need papers or better yet even though I do have Doctor papers that I would even show them to anyone that dose not have right to see them. My Landlord has papers of my info and we talk about it a lot only cause she is listed as my next of kin for emergency, and cause we are close friends. She knows I would not share other wise. I have had to deal with family and then some of people that Violate ADA laws with me. They just don't get it that I don't need to show papers or have papers for Sadie other then to prove she is up to date with her shots and that would be only to a police person.
I contemplate a lot and most likely may have to move at some point but not due to my Landlord.
Right now Sadie is better now cause she has her new lead and it is longer then her old run was set up. I just think that She would be a lot better with not being so out there where people can come wondering in as they please.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2