GO!

Dr. Note

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasper

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 11:11am PST 
I'm just trying to make sure I have all my basis covered here. I got a note from my doctor for my phyciatric service dog, but because we didn't really know what to put on it he just wrote it for my current situation. It says "it is medically necessary for [name] to have her service dog in school/college" it is written on the office letter head and signed by my doctor. Do I need anything else for everyday life, such as it's medically necessary for me to have the dog or is this good enough? He said if I needed anything else to just call.
[notify]
Baja

You're like two- sides of the- same coin

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 12:40pm PST 
I recommend going to psychdogs.org for a sample doctors letter. If you want to cover all your basis I would also make sure that you are disabled under the ADA and that you have training logs or proof of training and a list of tasks that your service dog performs in case you ever have to go to court. I would also research the laws in your state and see if service dogs in training are covered. Keep in mind that only fully trained service dogs are covered by the ADA. I hope this helps.
[notify]
Baja

You're like two- sides of the- same coin

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 12:41pm PST 
I recommend going to psychdogs.org for a sample doctors letter. If you want to cover all your basis I would also make sure that you are disabled under the ADA and that you have training logs or proof of training and a list of tasks that your service dog performs in case you ever have to go to court. I would also research the laws in your state and see if service dogs in training are covered. Keep in mind that only fully trained service dogs are covered by the ADA. I hope this helps.
[notify]

Jasper

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 10:49am PST 
Thanks!
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 12:03pm PST 
If I'm reading your question correctly you already have a note for your disability office at your school and are wondering if you need another note for everyday use?

In the case of a fully trained service dog in compliance with the ADA, no you do not need a doctors note to carry around. It is a decent idea to have one for your records but not required for public access. It's actually not only not required but also a very bad idea to show a doctors note in case of a public access challenge. I have borrowed these from a group I'm in but here are a few basic sample letters. The first would be for a school.

To Whom It May Concern:

(Name) is a patient of mine and requires the use of an assistance dog. This is part of his treatment plan and assists him with his disabilities. He meets the definition of disability under the American Disabilities Act, The Fair Housing Act and The Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Separating this animal from him would be detrimental to his health. Please accommodate him and his service dog as needed.

(name) requires a Service Dog for Mobility. (this is on an Rx pad) ( I also scanned this, shrunk it, and then laminated it for travel (great for air travel))

(name) is a patient under my care. She has a medical condition that necesitates she have her service dog with her all times. Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter.

(name) is a patient of mine and I am treaing her for her chronic medical disability(this can be replaced with name of disability, but not recommended, unless you have both letters). (name) uses a service dog to assist her in managing this disablity, and I support her in doing so. Please accommodate (name) and her service dog as needed.

The only other places you need doctors notes for your service dog are in housing (if renting in a non pet friendly place) or flying. There are special requirements for PSD's and flying so those are important to look into before you fly. That doctor's note needs to be done specifically rather than just a general generic doctors note.

Just remember that a doctors note is not something you pull out in an access dispute the ADA specifically states that no special paperwork is required and if you do try to use a doctors note to gain access you will only make things more difficult for the next team that comes along.
[notify]
Jasper

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 9:30pm PST 
Yes, that was what I was asking. Thank you! I will not use it to gain access, I was just making sure it was something I needed to get done for my files.
[notify]
Gidget

Wherever mom is,- there I will be- also.

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 6:55am PST 
Different colleges require different items as they work to accommodate disabilities. You might need to provide more information to your college. Also, employers may require more paper work if you request an accommodation from them. Public access is different - no paperwork required.
[notify]
Max-SD

https://www.face- book.com/Sequoia- sMaximum

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 11:34am PST 
One thing, I would add the Air Carrier Access Act to Happy's letter. Otherwise, it covers everything.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 2:13pm PST 
Air Carriers Act requires a very Specific letter from psychiatric service dogs. If you want or need that I can dig up the links that explain, they're somewhere on my other computer.

Thanks Max sometimes I forget to remind people about that one.
[notify]
Max-SD

https://www.face- book.com/Sequoia- sMaximum

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 12:13pm PST 
True. Now that Max is cross-trained for psych and mobility work, I don't get a special note for flying; I just include the ACAA in my basic letter.

And, just my opinion, I'd avoid PSDS. If you want to know why, feel free to pawmail me.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2