GO!

The on going struggle of being an SD handler:

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 2:00pm PST 
I went to Maine this past summer, I was born in Sanford. It is the first time I have been back there in 6 years. My husband and I moved out into the mountains of North Carolina. I know there is another SD around here, I have met her twice and given her my phone number. She is blind, but is unable to take care of herself. I have never heard back from her.

Mali and her dog, a golden doodle have smiled at each other from a few yards away. Other than that it is just me and Mali. I don’t go out as much as I did when Mali was younger. I fell 5 months ago. I went out one day without her because I had let her out to potty without me and she came in covered in mud. I went quickly to the store, for milk. I parked right next to the door, rode around in an electric cart, but fell getting into the car. I tore my rototator cuff. I am now waiting for surgery after going to PT 3 times a week forever. I am thankful I trained Mali to both left and right sides. I can’t have her on my left side right now.

I am not lonely for other handlers, everyone in Walmart knows her, Fatz, (my husband’s favorite place), and everyone at my doctor’s office knows her…these are the places I trained her for public access. It would be wonderful to know others but I don’t see it happening.

I have sold 4 puppies to people for SD’s and they are all doing great; and so, I do get to talk with them through the e-mail and the phone.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 6:05pm PST 
WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN: My adoped Daughter and I had a heated discution about a few things and what came up was the subject of the right to have a SD in public places like Grocery store ect.
She is effended and horrafied that people bring dogs in to food stores etc. WHAT ABOUT ALLERGIES;
She just dose not beleive it is nesserie to bring a dog no matter what the disablitie.
She is serious not even for the blind. Animals are pets and do not belong in the public stores "especailly" food places!!!!!No she will not hear of it cause her daughter is allergic to animals.
[notify]
Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 5:41am PST 
I am sorry your niece has allergies. I am sure your sister has had occasions where she felt very afraid for her; however, that does not negate other people’s needs.

If they are in a store and see a SD they should simply avoid the dog. Stores are large enough so dog dander should not bother someone with allergies. If she is worried her child might pet the dog that is up to her parenting to make sure the child understands not to, the risks to her health; as well as, the fact that the dog is a SD.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 3:26pm PST 
She is my Daughter not my sister and the girl is her daughter. She is a adopted adopted daughter that was a third cusin of mine. I raised her as my daughter and her daughter calls me an aunt very confusing story I know but point was you are right Mauli but it is hard to talk to someone set in their ways she believes that no matter who it is Animals do not belong in the public place like the grocery stores etc. I have tryed to edgucate her but she will not be swayed this is just her way of acerting her belief. As much as she loves me she has strong feelings that no matter blind or other wise do not need to bring dogs in to stores where people are. Where people with allergies etc can be harmed.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:06am PST 
So again we are dealing with the ignorent Landlord form behind me Yesterday he told me to mind my own business while he parked in front of my apt. in my parking area of my landlords propertie. Ok not only is parking in all that but under Sadie's run. Issue of pretty much disrespect cause in his view I am of insnificate life form to him. NOT HAPPY ! I am sure many of you here have had that treatment. He was moving a frig up on the upper level of his apt. house for his tenets, My landlord had exspressed the dislike of other people form that apt house using her propertie and dumbster. She told me that I was to tell her if this happen and that the area in question was only for my use. The man litterally told me to mind my own business and I was obveously. As well as acted like a child Vs treating as though I was being a child. My Landlord yet again told me I was fine and that I should feel up set. She was Upset that I seemed so un-nerved
at this kind of treatment and told me that I was justified by being affended by him. He had no right to treat me that way, he is not my Landlord. SHe told me that even as a Landlord he did not have a right to treat me like that. I agree cause she would and never has treat me like that or any of her other tenets. My friend who stays here off and on have been talking about it and he has known my Landlord for years to, and agrees that she nor her husband would treat anyone like that. I am just saying this guy was threating to shoot Sadie just weeks before for Barking at him.
I informed him that just threating her could get him thrown in to fed. prison cause she was a SD. He yeld back saying she was not I told him then if he needed to have proof he should go to the town since they sent me a tag for license every year. When he asked for papers I told him that he did not have a right to ask. (even if it were that I had them) I have all the formal type papers (documents form Doc. etc.) But I was not going to show him. I could also take him to court on that too. But I just wanted him out of my face. My Landlord gave me the right to have say over that space desinated for Sadie. Hence I was minding my business and he was trespassing.
It was a contradiction for him to be there in the first place since he was in the area that a "Vistious dog" matained its business.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:53am PST 
Its that time of year again the PTS kicks in and all the other mental and physical ailments are at the door and in your face What do you do to deal with it? I just wanted to know what people do when that time of year rolls around and their illness seems to become more of a burden then Useual.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 10:42am PST 
The on going struggles of being a SD handler have really been a real struggle I think both for Sadie and I. A friend of mine moved away and sadie really was attached so she is having a bit of a separation issue about it. It dose happen every now and then I am told. I have also struggled with people who just can not get over the fact that a SD can go in to place that should not have animals.
Like restraunts and grocery stores. I have given up trying to exsplain and planning to just meet any one who wants to question my dog by handing out pamphlets. I don't do well exsplaining things like that or anything that has to do with my rights to have the dog with me. Hope that others are not having that big of a deal with their SDs.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:51pm PST 
I started this post cause I thought that people should have ideas on how to work out way on dealing with the struggle of being a SD handler. I have not been here in a while and had hope that some post were put to this. Guess most have not had many struggle but then I see a few that have. I have PTSD and struggle day to day with it and the disocialtion of it. It is hard enough to deal with that let alone exsplaining to people about it, so I guess in hindsite I could not be to suprized to find no one posting to this. But I do want to post on my own post to say this. I have been struggling with My Demonds the last few months, let alone knowing how to exsplain to a worker who should at least have some idea about this kind of mental illness. I am so frustrated about trying to make her understand what I am dealing with. She really has not been able to compinsate with my using a SD let a lone knowing why I am struggling with keeping my day to day head together. To let alone keeping track of my own meds too.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 6:02pm PST 
I spend a lot of time struggling these days with just getting up not sure why just is something I have been going through. The other is trying to get someone that I can rely on to start training Sadie again a car transportation. But we all struggle form time to time, I know this.
I figure a long time ago that the best thing to do is continue training her on her basics and other lil tasks while I am laid up. As sadie gets older she settles more and calms down (not as rambunktions as she was as a pup) her breed is normally a high energy breed.
I have a run for most of her excersize needs. (I don't feel safe going out far form home in the colder weather and cause of the mobilitie issue I have stay close to home less I have someone to walk with me.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:34pm PST 
Not sure this will be consider on subject here for this post. Lately I have been struggling seriously with this Fog I've been in. It is hard to be focused on a lot of stuff. I am not sure I know which ailment I was stuggling with. Coming on here is really something that I do so I can read about people who are also struggling with life's lil things. Struggling with being SD handlers and the out side world and people who discriminate against us. Sometimes just this site alone helps me cause it at least tells me that there are people out there who know what I am going through and know the day to day struggle. I like to just come on here sometimes just to read about thing and what people like me do and say and how they deal with certon things.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4