GO!

My church rejected me because of my SD

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Skylar

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 10:02am PST 
Pippa, go to a church were the both of you are welcomed and loved. The priest at the Orthodox church you have always gone to apparently dislikes dogs and certainly in HIS church. As he chooses to run the church as his property, go elsewhere. You will meet many good and loving people who will welcome both of you into their circle and be glad to have you. Yes it will hurt for a little while but soon your heart will feel at home there simply because you will be surrounded by people who are true to their faith. G-d did not tell people with dogs to stay away from Him, nor does he ban them from heaven. This priest had no business to demand you remove your topic here. Sounds like a control freak. You were honest and honorable and in no way unkind, just hurt.
[notify]
Pippa

Pip's my name,- service is my- game!

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 4:25pm PST 
Since the Fr demanded I remove my post here, and come in to give confession etc I've decide to move on to a more accepting church. I really don't feel any loss, other than I'll miss some of the sweet people there. At any rate, I do not intend to pursue this with the Bishop, as that would invite more stress into my life and I just don't have any room for more stress. I've got so much going on these days, health-wise and otherwise. I think anyone can see that I did nothing to villainize the church, and several members of the church have contacted me privately to say that they are on my side in this issue. I appreciate the supportive comments here though.
[notify]
Brycone

Mom's Left Hand- Man - I'm ready are- you?

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 7:44am PST 
I recently contacted the International Religious Liberty Association to mention this very thing to them, that service dog users are being denied the liberty to worship in their specific house of faith because of the prejudice of a few.

I would suggest that others also contact this organization to gain their assistance in fighting this for us. Here is their url: http://irla.org/

We may need to speak up more on behalf of others, because most faiths have no set policy on admittance, it's left to the local congregations or their leaders. There should be a policy denomination wide, one that the local folk can look to.

They can also help with education, because that's where all understanding comes from. Blessings, De
[notify]

Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 2:32pm PST 
I recently went to the wedding of a family member who is part of the Christian Orthodox Church in the Bay area. They were cool about my bringing my service dog with me. I emailed first and asked the head priest if it'd be okay.

If you were in the Santa Rosa, CA area, I'd suggest going there, as they seem to be fairly enlightened (no pun intended) that way.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 11:32am PST 
Its been a while since Ive posted here Pipa I hope you are well.God is a great and loving father is he not? He teaches us many things and gives us many wise people to relie on to guide us. My grammy and grampy were strong faithful god loving people, Though my grampy did not go to church, but grammy she was a church going woman and she drag us lil one off to church when ever we were there visiting her. Now a lot of people thought my grampy would go to the devil to be sure. But I know he went to be with god cause he always said that he was the closest to god when he was in the field tending to his garden. I know a lot of people would say that being kind and helping your fellow man is not all the godly thing to do but I believe that it a good part of it and my grampy did this very well. God tells us that we should put our predijest aside and to love our neighbors as we love him. Jesus showed us that no man is denie his present and he went were no other priest was willing to go. Everyone is loved in gods eye black white and green I think. God does not see our skin but our heart, I beleive that animals has a straight line to god and that God loves them cause he created them to be our compainions. I did not mean this to be a sermon only to say that God dose love all his creatures any church that turns God own creation away needs to be avoided in my book. As I said many times I attend a church every now and then just cause I feel the need to hear a word form a more godly voice. But for a man of god to say or force out a creature of god tells me I can not be at that church. A lot of people may be think I just am not godly enough cause I am missing the point that church is where God is. God hears us no matter where we are, be it in the church or in our house or on a hill side tending sheep. God sees our hearts and souls. He knows our mind and wants and needs, weather we speak or not God knows. I learned this in church but also by reading his word and seeking it. I feel it in my heart.
This morning I woke up to a preacher man on tv telling me how the delet button works and has one of those too. So if you can delet a tv or word on your comp. why not delet neg. influance form people that obveously is not saying something God would not say. It is just wrong for a person let a lone a preacher to tell someone that they can not have their SD with them in the church. Sorry for the long speach but my heart told me Pip that you did the right thing cause God wants you to be in a place that would not turn on you cause you had a SD.
[notify]
Max-SD

https://www.face- book.com/Sequoia- sMaximum

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 11:19am PST 
I feel for you Pippa. I spent a year feeling ostracized by my synagogue because it took them that long to form a SD policy. And they only did that because the rabbi's sister is a disability advocate and she opened her big mouth.

I also used this text to make a statement. "Thou shalt not put a stumbling block before the blind nor curse the deaf but fear the Lord thy God." Telling me my service dog is not allowed is putting a stumbling black before me (I'm not vision impaired but the analogy works).

Now, I've moved and my SD is welcome at my new synagogue. Except one lady in the choir hates him (I'm in the choir) but that's her issue and if she doesn't like it, then she can leave. Her voice isn't that good anyways!
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5