GO!

I met a person today Who was afraid of dogs:

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Jazmine- *Jazzy*

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 7:12pm PST 
Totally agree Fox. When I meet these people I position Jazzy so that their fear is lessened. I compare it to somethings I'm scared of just make no sense and are part of the PTSD but I still appreciate people and Jazzy helping me work through them.

I haven't ran into allergy sufferers but I'm sure when I do I can keep a decent amount of distance for both our comfort.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 11:07pm PST 
it worried me since it was a restraunt that was going in that I might like to try out. Not sure really if I will be taking sadie there any how since it is right behind where I live.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 7:57am PST 
I'm sorry that happened to you. You really shouldn't have to deal with that type of response, but it might make you feel better to have a stock response, something like "Sadie is a service dog. She is specially selected to be non-aggressive and she is trained not to interact with other people in any way while she's on duty." Sometimes it feels surprisingly good to be undeservedly kind to @$$holes.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 11:14pm PST 
Thanks Kodiadka I think I will take that in to consideration. I am also looking in to another restraunt
that is new in my area too The Goveners. I know someone there and I am hoping that I don't have to
deal with any neg. with her either. She knows that sadie is a SD too. but these days I wonder about people they change.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 7:01am PST 
Hi! Let me put a bit of a different spin on this. I hear that you are very insulted that this person could be so rude as to be afraid of your dog. However... Please understand that for most people who are afraid of dogs it's really not a choice - nobody would choose that, believe me. As someone who is working very hard to overcome my phobia, I have been laughed at, had people call dogs over to play even though I have specifically asked them not to, and had people get mad at me because I have asked them to call their dog away from me.
I know that an SD provides an amazing and valuable service, please just maybe **show this lady the compassion that you would expect to be shown to you.**
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 8:02am PST 
I have an elderly neighbor right across the street who is terrified by even the smallest of dogs. I own 2 Akitas,far from being small,when we first moved here her first question was can they get off the porch? We were honest and said that they in fact could but knew not to,and assured her that they would never be out unsupervised. She still can not bring herself to be near them but knows that we will make sure that they are where they belong,easing her fear considerably. As someone else mentioned it is simply a matter of respect for the person who is allergic/fearful just as you wish them to have respect for your disability and need to have a service dog. There are ways with cooperation,communication and mutual respect to work it out.wishes
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 9:03am PST 
I think that those of us who love and share our lives with dogs tend to forget that for many people dogs are a symbol of fear and oppression. Throughout history those in power have used dogs to control, intimidate and capture people fleeing from oppression. I recently heard a talk given by a holocaust survivor about her experiences in concentration camps. GSDs were used heavily in the camps. She is absolutely deathly afraid of GSDs to this day, and as you know they are a breed commonly used as SD or PSD. Telling this woman that a GSD is a SD will not help, she freezes and cannot move out of sheer terror, she even has a hard time breathing=all common symptoms of PTSD. So I agree, those with SDs really need to understand and give people who are afraid the same courtesy they should have for their own disability and/or PTSD symptoms.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 12:31pm PST 
Sorry you must of got a wrong suggest of my post I am not really affended of people being afraid of dogs I do get it that some people can be afraid of them that I understand. I have silly fears too. Sometimes they can be a lil twisted to, Like spiders and accually I can be afraid of some dogs myself. As a rule I love all animals but at some level some animals even though I love them I can be afraid. I have a lot of fears of the dark and high places an noyce too that most people would think me foolish. I have met people that were afraid of all things cats. Now I myself thought that was rediculus of all things to be afraid of is a cat. But if you think about it cats can be dangerouse animals. But a good deal of people think A CAT! wow ! I mean are you afraid of cute bunnies too? This is often cycastically put but still even a cute bunny is not always innocent ether. Some do bite as well as a hamster, ginnie pig etc. a lot of small pets bite cause they are afraid. Being small is a big stress factor. Some people are just afraid of small dogs. Being small is not no laughing matter it can be pretty scarey.
So sorry to ramble on I really do understand and did not mean to sound like I might have been effended cause I am understanding of the fear factor but what worried me I guess was it was a business that people go to and for a owner or worker to be afraid of an SD would make a difficult
situation that is all.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2