GO!

Therapy Dogs Must be certified. Right?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 9:18pm PST 
Bretta it depends on the organization. Some call it registration, some call it certification.
[notify]
Jack

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 3:31am PST 
What everybody else said. party

Indy did therapy visits years ago for a local nursing home- at the time, our local program that went through one of the big national orgs (I don't remember which one- it's been like 8 years!) wouldn't certify dogs that were intact and Indy was still being shown. We called around and found a local nursing home that was willing to have a dog visit just based on interviews and a handler who was willing to go through their regular volunteer orientation. YMMV smile
[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 7:58am PST 
For people that have large distances to travel, Delta offers online courses for their Pet Partners certification. I tripped on it when this thread piqued my curiosity. It seems that you can send videos, via the net, for the certification. If 3 attempts are failed, the submission must be done in person.
[notify]

Maizie Moo

Yup, I'm a- fashion diva,- DEAL!

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '12 6:39pm PST 
I've yet to have any of my dogs registered/certified through a therapy dog program, but several of my dogs are great therapy dogs. smile

It just happened that years ago the faciliities I visited, worked at or volunteered at with my guide dogs enjoyed having me dogs there and saw how the dogs' presence effected clients/patients. Before long my dogs were just visiting to visit and comfort the residents, and so took on the role as "therapy dogs".

I've just continued this through the years with my guide dogs, as well as Maizie, and a couple of my pet Dachshunds, too.
[notify]
CH Snowy,- CGC, TDI,- HC, HIC

Born to be- wild!!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 11:43am PST 
Most facilities require some type of documentation before you can start a visit, i.e. therapy dog registration and health record. In addition it's common to have a "Trial visit" so your therapy dog fits the needs of the facility.

I do recommend registering with one of therapy dog organizations, for your own protection against accident liabilities.

With Therapy Dog International, there is a look-up for evaluator in your geographical area. If there is no evaluator available in your area they do accept your CGC plus a letter from the AKC obedience judge for limited membership.

Their website is tdi-dog.org

Good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2