GO!

PTSD Service Dogs for non veterans?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Dude

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 7:31pm PST 
I'm on permanent disability for PTSD and have been using a SD for 13 yrs. My current SD has to retire unexpectely. There isn't enough time to start training a new SD from a puppy or young adult. (My previous dogs were privately trained).
I've been contacting few SD organizations, the ones that have dogs for PTSD only place them w/veterans (I'm not veteran). What are the changes for non veteran getting already trained SD for PTSD? How long is the waiting period? (I live in Northern California)

I would appreciate any information and advice.

Thanks
[notify]
Lucky

Squirrels!!

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 7:39pm PST 
Laughing Eyes Kennels in New Mexico trains PSDs for non-veterans. The dogs from there are not free but I do believe you get a dog in under 2 years. Becker or Daphne, can you chime in?
[notify]
Mandi

Many hands make- the load- lighter.

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 7:59pm PST 
I got on a wait list for Support Dogs (http://www.supportdogs.org/), and the wait time was under a year. The application fee is a bit steep ($100), and you have to pay a $350 equipment fee when you participate in training, but beside that the dogs are free. I also have non-combat related PTSD, and had no problems working with them. They are great people, even though I ended up OTing anyway. I'd definitely throw my hat back in with them if Mandi needed to retire for some reason.
[notify]

Mandi

Many hands make- the load- lighter.

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 8:00pm PST 
I got on a wait list for Support Dogs (http://www.supportdogs.org/), and the wait time was under a year. The application fee is a bit steep ($100), and you have to pay a $350 equipment fee when you participate in training, but beside that the dogs are free. I also have non-combat related PTSD, and had no problems working with them. They are great people, even though I ended up OTing anyway. I'd definitely throw my hat back in with them if Mandi needed to retire for some reason.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 12:08am PST 
Where in NorCal are you? I know there are some programs locally that are owner-trainer programs. There is Four Paws for Vets, last I heard they did take some non-Vets into their classes. They are in Fair Oaks. Discovery Dogs is closer to the Bay area. Nancy Frensley at the Berkeley East Bay Humane Society also helps me and several others in training their own SDs. I don't know of any other local programs that train SDs, but there are others around the US.
[notify]