GO!

CGC test at petsmart?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Jazzy

momma's little- monster, the- terrorist,

Barked: Fri Feb 11, '11 11:37pm PST 
So I'm about to get my 8 month old dachshund into the advanced training class and I brought up to my trainer about me wanting to get Jazz into being a therapy dog. She told me that at the end of advanced training Jazz will be tested on the CGC test and if he passes he'll get a CGC certication so he'll be able to go to hospitals and libraries and etc. Anyone heard of this before?
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 1:30am PST 
I think our petsmart is hooked up with the local humane society, so yeah, they offer CGC at the end of their classes. It's just a little more pricey for the classes through the store as opposed to the HS directly
[notify]
Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 1:34am PST 
The CGC does not Allow you access to hospitals and nursing home you have to train for and pass a therapy dog test after you get your CGC.
[notify]

Jazzy

momma's little- monster, the- terrorist,

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 1:56am PST 
I'm willing to pay for the training course. My trainer told me that the CGC is a certification for the therapy dogs. And I even looked it up under akc.
[notify]
Mya CGC TDI

I'm your new- best friend! Pet- me!

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 4:14am PST 
To be a therapy dog you'll need the CGC as well as the extra therapy dog test ontop of it. For TDI at least. It adds on things such as behaving around walkers/wheel chairs/crutches and not reacting to strange petting and grabbing.
The CGC is the basic part of the test, showing that your dog has manners, and the TDI part is on top of the CGC and tests for specific therapy dog things.

I'm not sure about Delta or any other organization since I've only ever done anything with TDI.
[notify]
Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 4:28am PST 
The CGC is part but not aLl of the certification for a therapy dog
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 4:45am PST 
The Delta Society therapy dog test includes all parts of the CGC aside from the supervised separation since they do not allow you to leave your dog for any reason when you're on a visit. There are additional temperament testing items in addition to the CGC elements.
[notify]
Jesse

Don\'t Give Up

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 10:07am PST 
Jesse had to pass CGC and additionally take the TOP test required by the organization I am currently with.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 1:13pm PST 
The CGC does not allow a dog to automatically be allowed in hospitals/nursing homes. The CGC is not a therapy dog test.

However SOME hospitals/nursing homes MIGHT allow dogs who just have a CGC to visit, but that is up to the individual places. Most places though require dogs to belong to a therapy dog organization, and most organizations either have their own therapy dog test the dogs must pass or if it's a local group they may test through one of the national organizations like Delta.
[notify]