GO!

Dog earplugs?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Samson- Service Dog, TD, CGC

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Sat Dec 25, '10 11:48am PST 
I was wondering if any store or website sells dog earplugs. I would like to have some for a just in case precautionary. Thanks for any help!
smile
[notify]
Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Sat Dec 25, '10 3:58pm PST 
I just ordered muff mutts at the recommendation of other dogsters. They have yet to arrive.

Do you want them for sound or water?
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Dec 26, '10 1:41am PST 
Scooter thinks his Mutt Muffs rock. We use them for going to the movies, airshows, military functions, etc.
[notify]

Samson- Service Dog, TD, CGC

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Sun Dec 26, '10 6:48am PST 
I am concerned about loud sounds, he's a lab so I think he can handle a little water. wink I will go look up those ear muffs, thank you very much!hug
[notify]
Maizie Moo

Yup, I'm a- fashion diva,- DEAL!

Barked: Sun Dec 26, '10 2:33pm PST 
Well I just looked up the mutt muffs ... You've got to be kidding me?! LMAO! It's amazing anyone would spend that outrageous amount of money on something so ridiculous. It can't be comfortable on the dog either.

Save your money, use cotton balls people... simple, cheap & efficient. I have also used regular foam human earplugs for my guide dogs & Maizie... they form to the ear canal... work fine, and again very cheap. Get them at any drug store or department store. big grin

Edited by author Sun Dec 26, '10 2:43pm PST

[notify]
Scruffy- Personal Super Dog

Personal Super- Dog

Barked: Sun Dec 26, '10 4:40pm PST 
I do the earplug thing too. Also I found a pair of ear muffs for people at the Salvation Army with another stores sticker still on them. Scruffy does both, otherwise he is digging out the little ear plugs.
[notify]
Scruffy- Personal Super Dog

Personal Super- Dog

Barked: Sun Dec 26, '10 4:40pm PST 
I do the earplug thing too. Also I found a pair of ear muffs for people at the Salvation Army with another stores sticker still on them. Scruffy does both, otherwise he is digging out the little ear plugs.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon Dec 27, '10 5:14pm PST 
Maizie... My ex is a firearms instructor; they don't take ear protection lightly and it has come a long way since when he started teaching in the 70's. Before I made the purchase, I had him check them out. I also asked all the K-9 officers I knew (and later the MWD crew); the general consensus is that the Mutt Muffs provide much better protection than cotton balls or the foam plugs (which offer literally no protection).

The custom molded sets are better, but you have to buy the correct set for your application (musician, shooter, construction, etc). I haven't seen any of them marketed for the dogs; I have already considered pairing them with the MMs for ultimate protection. That is what most of the guys I know use - other FA instructors, pistol team members, CERT/SWAT members, etc.

As for comfort, Scooter wouldn't keep them on, let alone ask for them, if they were uncomfortable. The only down side to them (which really isn't a bad thing) is that they eliminate enough noise the dog can't hear you if you use a normal tone; hand signals are needed.
[notify]
Maizie Moo

Yup, I'm a- fashion diva,- DEAL!

Barked: Tue Dec 28, '10 8:58am PST 
Well guide dogs have been around for 80 yrs now (even longer, but 1st established program was 80 yrs ago) & there's never been a problem with guide dogs losing their hearing or having difficulty working in extreme loud conditions. Of course the best thing for any dog would be simply to avoid situations that you feel might be harmeful or uncomfortable for the dog but in today's world it's nearly impossible to avoid every conceivable "loud" situation.

I've used cotton balls with all my guides since '85, going to concerts, fireworks events & a few times to Civil War reenactments where cannons were fired. My dogs barely flinch in those situations, so cotton balls do the trick. big grin I'd not want my dog's hearing to be so impaired that she couldn't respond to commands; in fact it would be quite dangerous for a guide dog to not be able to hear its handler.

The foam earplugs do work as well. Have used them many times. If they're used correctly they do the job.
[notify]
Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Tue Dec 28, '10 10:04am PST 
If we have fireworks here this New Years then I will try the Mutt Muffs on her then.

I am skeptical. Human ear muffs seem like they would work better.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2