GO!

Hawaii Travel with Service Dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Slasher

Splashy Slashie

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 1:05pm PST 
We are planning on taking a Cruz. I do use a S.R.D and was wondering if anyone had traveled to Hawaii with there service dog. They say the take them for a month unless blood work and Rabies are not done 30 days before arrival doe's anyone know what exactly for? Can they really hold your service dog from you? thinking

Thank you for any suggestions! happy dance
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 2:27pm PST 
Hawaii is a rabies free island so the laws are very strict in reference to allowing animals in who could harbor rabies.

They recently relaxed the laws (which previously included mandatory quarantine) to allow for rabies titers to determine pet is protected from virus (IE not harboring) and tick and flea medication applied 24 hours before leaving with sign vet/USDA cetficate. ID in the form of a microchip is also required.

Hawaii.gov Info on Animal Entry

Hawaii.gov info on exceptions for Service Dogs (However you still need to do alot of stuff before going)

SD's still need to have rabies vaccine(current), FAVN(specific rabies titer) within 12 months, Microchip, USDA health certficate and proof of application of a fipronil (frontline) or equivilant topical medication to prevent flea and ticks from being brought in (this must be administered and documented by vet less than 14 days before entrance into islands)

ETA - The Rabies Quarantine Branch must receive notification at least 24 hours in advance of arrival information and location where the dog will be staying. Information can be faxed to 808-483-7161. I would also consider calling them or emailing rabiesfree@hawaii.gov to help you with ensuring all requirements are met. I believe if you enter and have not met proper requirements they can make you and your dog leave instead of quarentine.

Edited by author Fri Dec 10, '10 2:30pm PST

[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 3:28pm PST 
If Slasher is your SD, you will not be able to go to Hawai'i with him without avoiding the mandatory up-to-120 day quarantine as he is only 7 months old and ineligible for the rabies titer, which must be taken after 12 months old.
[notify]

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 3:36pm PST 
Couldn't they also administer a rabies booster right before they leave? I know that's controversial, health-wise, but is it an option?
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 3:45pm PST 
No. In all cases of entering Hawai'i, to bypass mandatory quarantine you need, among other things, a rabies titer. For regular pets traveling, this is also accompanied by a 120 day waiting period which must be cleared before arrival in Hawai'i. For SDs, there is no waiting period but the dog still must have a rabies titer done.

Also you must provide a letter from your doctor "which certifies as to the disability, and that the service dog provides assistance having to do with that disability and documentation of training, or a certificate of training as a service dog by a training program accredited by Assistance Dogs International, Inc., or a service dog training program with equally rigorous administrative, operational and training standards."

Traveling to Hawai'i meets the same WHO guidelines on restricting rabies as traveling to other rabies-free areas of the world. It's very strict.
[notify]
SHADOW - RIP 14 June- 2014

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 4:11pm PST 
One of the main problems for a Service Dog going to Hawaii is not just the "rabies", etc... BUT the Service Dog must be CERTIFIED either by the ADI or other Service Dog programs that the State recognizes. I had a friend who went there and she had to find a program to certify her Service Dog with before she could do anything. Since it was still a pup in tng she was told which place to certify her dog after 18 months before she could travel. She had to wait for 18 months after the certification paperwork came thru before making any plans.

In our ADI school they told us about a Service Dog who had all the medical portion done and thought that was all she needed. When she got to Hawaii the dog had to be put into quarantine because she had no certification paperwork. So, she had to leave her dog there for a wk before she could fly him home with her.

Shadow Walker
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 4:14pm PST 
Shadow - as I understand the wording, "documentation" may also be a well-kept training journal, though, those can be contestable unlike certification from ADI, Inc., etc.

The statement from a doctor needs to certify "as to the disability, and that the service dog provides assistance having to do with that disability and documentation of training, or a certificate of training as a service dog by a training program accredited by Assistance Dogs International, Inc., or a service dog training program with equally rigorous administrative, operational and training standards."

If I recall right, Scooter on these forums keeps a training log in case she has to go to Hawai'i (correct me if I'm wrong, Scooter!)
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 4:21pm PST 
I understand the medical end of it, but last time I checked Hawaii was still a state and subject to the ADA. I do not understand how they can legally require certification or proof of training. I think it should be challenged in federal court.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 4:27pm PST 
Harley - I think that's part of the trade-off for the relaxed rabies rules when it comes to SD entrance to Hawai'i. Not saying it's legal.

Should it be challenged and overruled, the training verification part, I would not be surprised if Hawai'i also revokes the relatively relaxed rules concerning the medical end of things for SDs as well.

That would mean SDs like SD travel to Japan would follow the same protocols for pets, including 120 days of waiting period after a rabies titer, which would be taken after at least 2 rabies shots, the last one not sooner than 90 days of travel.
[notify]
Slasher

Splashy Slashie

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 5:48pm PST 
big grin Wow thank you all for the reply's
No slasher is not a service dog. I have not yet added her on here. She is current on all shots and has always been. She has had 3 rabies shots already and is certified threw my state. Thank you i needed this info
Also i dont see how then can require Certified paperwork from a school when the ADA allows self trained Seizure Response dogs such as mine?thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2