GO!

Vesting at Petsmart

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Samson- Service Dog, TD, CGC

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 4:26pm PST 
I usually don't vest or harness Samson when I go into Petsmart, I guess it's a treat to him. Do you guys vest or harness your service dogs or do you just go in "unclothed".
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 4:57pm PST 
Harley gets to be a dog in dog friendly stores (and he knows it). Even if I don't take his harness off, he is allowed to visit in pet friendly stores. It's his treat, and he'll do his job vested or not.
[notify]
Brycone

Mom's Left Hand- Man - I'm ready are- you?

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 5:27pm PST 
There are no pet stores within an hour of us. We did go to an alternative store and they had a Golden Retriever there. I let Brycone have a few moments and the other dog was so dominant that I feared for Brycone and put him into the car. The other person said their unaltered dog was "just playing" I will NOT bring him into that store!!! frown

I worry about the places like Tractor Supply (there is one in our town) because people don't seem to know how to keep their own dog under control. They are sometimes unleashed, I guess they don't expect a Service Dog, there aren't many around, so don't have a clue how to keep me or Brycone safe. I've put a lot of love, time, energy and money into training him. I don't want him ruined this early in his career because of some unknowing/uncaring person with a dog.

At Fun Night at our dog trainer's place, he gets to be a dog among other 'safe' dogs. At home with Ginger, our Min Pin, he gets to be a dog. And when my dad brings his cock-a-poo over, they play as well. That's the best I can do.
[notify]

Roanna

Guide dogs, the- ones others- emulate

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 5:59pm PST 
Well............my wifes Guide cant do her job properly if she is not wearing her harness, and trying to walk with the white cane AND the dog is a bit too much.....so yes, the harness stays on.
[notify]
Scruffy- Personal Super Dog

Personal Super- Dog

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 6:29pm PST 
Scruffy has a fit almost if I remove his clothes or ID collar in public. If he was a female I would call him a Diva... instead he is a hot mess. So I leave it on him as he does not like to be nekid (southern for... well you know).
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 8:25pm PST 
I've vested Iris a few times during a visit to a pet-friendly store such as PetsMart for training.

Oddly enough, it's when she's vested that we can't get away without a group of people wanting to pet her.
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 8:29pm PST 
I always vest and maintain discipline anywhere in public with my puppies. Pet friendly places are great for teaching staying on task around other dogs without distracting working dogs.

One factor is does your dog get other chances to be off duty and be a dog? We provide that for our friends. I remember Aster's first visit to her mother's home as a working dog. When it was time to go home, her partner stood up with the harness in her hand and said ''Aster, come.'' Aster left off in mid bite and assumed the heel position to have the harness put on.
[notify]
Samson- Service Dog, TD, CGC

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 6:04am PST 
@Aster: Of course I let Samson have time to be a normal dog, he gets it everyday but I think he prefers the time that he is working. He likes to feel important.
wink
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 7:02am PST 
I personally don't vest at pet stores and neer have. However, when Ollie was a pup and I was just starting training for public access, he had to be on his best public access behavior in pet stores. What higher distraction place can you find to train in, afterall?

Nowadays, I allow him more leeway in pet friendly stores, but I still expect him to mostly behave. He is allowed to seek attention from his favorite employees at the pet stores where he knows them, and he's allowed to take treats from them for doing tricks. But he is not allowed to eat off the floor, pick up random things, or pull on the leash or anything.

I don't really like some of the petstores around here and won't take him in because of the higher percentages of unruly or uncontrolled dogs. And we never go in on weekends-- too many dogs on flexi leashes in aisles different than their owner, too many people being dragged around the store with a dog that rushes and postures at my dog while the human says "oh how cute, he wants to say hi" and so on. So we usually only to go the pet stores during the week when they are not crowded, and we (just like when working) give other dogs their space in the store.

Really, since he is a PSD, he is working all the time. The service harness just dictates when he has to be on his best behavior vs when he can act more like a regular dog.
[notify]
Maizie Moo

Yup, I'm a- fashion diva,- DEAL!

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 11:02am PST 
Maizie isn't vested in Petsmart or Petco, but in any other type of pet store she is. In pet stores other then Petsmart/Petco, pets are not allowed usually (like those puppymill filled pet stores in malls).

When I'm working my guide dog of course he/she is in harness wherever we go, with the exception of one Petsmart that I'm very familiar with so don't have to be guided to get around. That's a huge treat for my guides, as they can just be dogs & not have to worry about looking out for me.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2