GO!

Harassment

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Macy- (SERVICE- DOG)

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 11:37am PST 
OK, College is doing great, except one thing. There are a small handful of students that I need to remind every so often not to pet Macy when she is in vest. THEN there is this one boy, who over the top harrasses me. I tell macy to do something, he copys me. I say macy "sit" and it will be followed by him "macy sit!!!", he trys to get her to do things too, like if she is sitting he will try to get her to lay down. If she is sitting, She is sitting for a reason, if I wanted her down she would be down. I try to lose him by going to the bathroom, and the guy stands outside! HELP!!!!!!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 11:48am PST 
Report him. Right now.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 11:49am PST 
Yes, it's harassment. Check your state laws and see if there are any additional protections (eg: is it a felony to interfere with a service dog's work?). The next time it happens, call the police (or campus security - they might respond faster) and get a paper trail started. When you call, say something like "I am a young, disabled female. I'm alone and being harassed and I fear for my safety."
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 12:32pm PST 
If the campus police want to brush it off, keep in mind the last 4 words that "Guest" used. "I fear for my safety." Florida has an interference and harm law. It is 413.081 Interference with or injury to a service animal; penalties; restitution:
(1) A person who, with reckless disregard, interferes with, or permits a dog that he or she owns or is in the immediate control of to interfere with, the use of a service animal by obstructing, intimidating, or otherwise jeopardizing the safety of the service animal or its user commits a misdemeanor of the second degree for the first offense and a misdemeanor of the first degree for each subsequent offense, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) A person who, with reckless disregard, injures or kills, or permits a dog that he or she owns or is in the immediate control of to injure or kill, a service animal commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(3) A person who intentionally injures or kills, or permits a dog that he or she owns or is in the immediate control of to injure or kill, a service animal commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(4)(a) A person who is convicted of a violation of this section, in addition to any other penalty, must make full restitution for all damages that arise out of or are related to the offense, including incidental and consequential damages incurred by the service animal's user.

b) Restitution includes the value of the service animal; replacement and training or retraining expenses for the service animal and the user; veterinary and other medical and boarding expenses for the service animal; medical expenses for the user; and lost wages or income incurred by the user during any period that the user is without the services of the service animal.

If it were me, I'd give him a single warning. I'd flat out tell him to knock it off or I will call the police because 1. interference with a SD is against the law and 2. so is harassment. We can start a paper trail, and I'm willing to get a restraining order, if necessary. If he's smart, he'll realize that this could get him kicked out of school. Plus, in Florida, a RO will show up on any police background check as would the misdemeanor interference charges.

(Yeah, I went a little crazy with the highlighting the pertinent info) big laugh
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 1:25pm PST 
Oooh that is very creepy. Report him ASAP. He could be a stalker.
[notify]
Lylah

The harder I wag- the more friends- I have

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 1:37pm PST 
I seriously doubt he's a stalker. He's a typical college jerk. I'm actually surprised you're only having issues with this guy. Anyway, I'd go with what Guest and Scooter said. Those laws unfortunately have to be in place for idiots. You've found yourself an idiot. I think the best solution will be a restraining order if he won't back off.

From the sounds of your post, you've already talked to him directly. Can you get help from anyone on campus (authority figure)? If you try that and it fails, then I'd turn it into a legal matter.

The good news is most college jerks are just trying to be annoying, but are actually fearful, insecure little children on the inside. As soon as you show that you're serious about him not messing with your dog, he'll probably get scared off. Especially when he realizes just what the legal consequences could be.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 1:41pm PST 
I wouldn't take the chance that he isn't a stalker or let him get one more moment out of line...

Not to scare the OP, but this kind of behavior belongs more in the 2nd grade than at a college level and is absolutely harassment.

I actually don't think I would even wait to see him again, but would file a complaint with campus security right away.

And include his name if you know it, description if you don't. Get it on record. Complain to friends about him and they should help you deal with it.

He may be just a college jerk, but it is odd that he has enough free time to go around bothering people. I sure never did!
[notify]
Lylah

The harder I wag- the more friends- I have

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 1:52pm PST 
A good stalker wouldn't let you know that they're stalking you. Or if they wanted you to feel insecure and know that "someone" is out there, they would not let you know their identity. They don't want to go to jail.

This kid is just an obnoxious weirdo. I really don't think the OP is in danger of this guy doing anything more than messing with the dog. I agree that this kid needs to suffer consequences if he won't listen to reason, but really, his behavior pattern is not that of a stalker. Stalkers tend to be OCD. Unless he's got a very set pattern with the OP, I really doubt he's a stalker. It sounds like he only bugs the dog when he sees the dog. They go to the same school. They see each other often, I'm sure.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 1:55pm PST 
Well, I had a stalker...Many of us do. And I knew it. He used to send me notes...

Just be on the safe side...don't be afraid. Report the guy.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Fri Sep 17, '10 2:00pm PST 
Does your cell phone have a camera? If you don't know his name and he comes up again, take his picture so you can give it (send it) to the campus police. (I'd also send/download a copy for my home computer in case you have to involve the city/county LEOs).

While most of these guys will back off once they realize you aren't joking and are told the actual legal ramifications, there is always that 1-2% that won't. Since you really never know, it is best to start the paper trail. I'd sit down and try to remember the times/dates/exact locations of previous incidents, especially those where you have purposely gone into the restroom and he's waited around. Showing a pattern of something like that makes his behavior look worse than just the casual come up behind you and start trying to get the dog's attention. KWIM?

If you want to PM me with the county you live in, I may know someone on the County SO (or even local PD). I worked LE in Florida for quite a few years and I'm still on speaking terms with the ex who works in LEO training.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4