GO!

Police requires my doctor note and "certification"

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Macy- (SERVICE- DOG)

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 3:59pm PST 
found out he figured he was allowed to ask for this stuff from a service dog school!! Im very upset. If I hadent provided my doctor note or certification they wouldnt of helped me. As im aware, they cant ask for this information...only a judge can. What type of sd school would make it hard for other service dogs by providing FALSE info??
[notify]
Nalla - CGC, TDI, Service Dog

*wiggles*

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 4:05pm PST 
Some schools issue ID, and most require a doctor's note to get a SD. Maybe the cops read something from a school about SD's and misunderstood it?
I would be really bad if a SD school was trying to make things harder for handlers and their OT dogs.
[notify]
Sookie CGC

anything for a- tennis ball

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 4:11pm PST 
Macy, it is unfortunate, but MOST police officer training programs/schools do not teach anything about service animals (or disabilities in general for that matter) so unless the local police department takes an initiative to train their officers to deal with these situations, they really don't know how.

If I were you, I would probably attempt to speak with the local chief of police and very politely talk to him about service dog issues and awareness and ask if he would be willing to speak to his officers about how to handle situations when service dog teams are denied access into public places. You can offer to provide him with resources that he may need, and he may would even ask for you to come and give a presentation. Most police officers are kind and approachable people, and I am sure the officer that asked you those questions probably was under the impression that he was supposed to ask for those things.
[notify]

Macy- (SERVICE- DOG)

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 4:16pm PST 
The school is putting out the idea that it is required to have certification and that police c an ask for that and dr. notes

regarding educating the police, I tried on a number of occassions to contact them and their responce was " we dont need you to come in here and talk about your dog, every knows about service dogs!"

RUDE.
[notify]
Sookie CGC

anything for a- tennis ball

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 4:24pm PST 
I would go and see them personally, but that is just me. And I wouldn't approach it from a viewpoint of talking about my dog, but just talking about the laws in general and that you are concerned that some of their officers aren't as familiar with the laws as they should be.

Are you guys the only service dog team around? If not then maybe you could rally with some of the other teams. Remember that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I would also make sure that you are talking to someone in charge, at least a lieutenant but preferably the chief of police or other very important person.

And it is unfortunate that a lot of sd training schools would rather owner training not be allowed. I know that a couple of the people representing my organization here locally really think that it shouldn't be allowed, and actually here in GA service dogs in training are only allowed the same access as actual service dogs IF they are affiliated with an organization that trains them, and the puppy raiser has to provide documentation from the organization if asked for it.
[notify]
Macy- (SERVICE- DOG)

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 4:31pm PST 
the sad thing is, This school that led the police to believe this is an owner training service dog school program. You pass $200 they test ur dog an give u a vest and ID. But seriously, what if I hadent had certification? The police wouldnt of helped me, this just pisses me off because I am a advocate for all service dogs, and know not all OT SD have certification and there are people that strongly against certification.
[notify]
BELLA CERTIFIED SERVICE DOG

GOOD DOGGY

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 5:54pm PST 
I LIKE owner training because it works for some people. But a cert is not requried. Since i know you shoshana you should just explain the laws.cheer
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 7:07pm PST 
There is a video for police officers that explains how to deal with a service dog public access challenge situation on this webpage:

http://www.calodging.com/products/service_animals.shtml

It is a GREAT video made by I believe the Sacramento police dept and the CA hotel and lodging association. It details how at the federal level there is no requirement for ID, and talks about how you can verify that the dog is a service dog by asking the appropriate questions. You might try passing that along to the police department in your area, and to the service dog school that is perpetuating this misinformation.
[notify]
Tory

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 7:34pm PST 
Every school would inform the officer of the ADA and provide a link so they could read it for themselves.

The only dogs that are required to have a doctors note are ESA's on aircraft because of the Air-Carrier Act. There is no law that requires certification.

I suggest you send a copy of the ADA brochure to the officer or department so they can learn how to handle SD's in the future.

BTW: The only police department that has requested information (from SDFL) was Sarasota International Airport regarding access rights for ESA's that are visiting but not traveling, they are having issues with uncontrolled vested ESA dogs running loose in the terminal. They were referred to the Air Carrier Act and the specific exclusions of ADA Title III for ESA's.

Landlords may ask for a doctors note but only for ESA's.

Edited by author Sun Sep 5, '10 7:46pm PST

[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 8:12pm PST 
Tory: PSDs also have to have a doctors note for flying per the ACAA. When asking for a housing accommodation, work or school accommodation, all SDs (and ESA's for housing) have to have doctors notes.

Macy: There is a DOJ number to call and they will send information to the police department (or any number) on SDs. You can also contact a disability advocacy organization and they can educate. Police only enforce state law, but Florida's state law is pretty inline with the ADA, so sending them a copy of the state law with the passage about certification high lighted may help.

If it becomes an issue again, I'd consider having an atty make a phone call or write a letter. You don't have to have the intent to sue but sometimes it takes a legal letter to get someones attention. It's a sad fact, but you are a young girl and people won't/don't always take you as seriously. I'm not quite twice your age and have the same problem.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5