GO!

Service dog attacked by another dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Sat Jul 17, '10 10:30pm PST 
My friend has a seizure alert dog. Program trained. Her and I decided we were going to take a trip to a strawberry patch because they were too expensive in the stores and she likes to make jam out of them.

When we went there, we grabbed our basket to go pick and the owner was aware of the service dog as he say it come out of the car. His dog, a large mixed breed came running out of know where from behind us (a lady screamed watch out) but by that time it was too late. The dog grabbed her dog and caused 4 huge wounds on him. His side, shoulder, hip and neck. Now, could something legal be done about this guys dog? It happened on his property but if he is running a strawberry patch out of it he is registered as a business and therefore is public accessible..or am I wrong?
[notify]
NormaJean

Fun is all that- matters

Barked: Sat Jul 17, '10 10:50pm PST 
Any dog attack can be pursued for legal action, unless it is a break in and they have a 'beware of dog' sign up. It being a service dog, I'm sure highers that accountability, especially since you're friend depends on that dog.
[notify]
Luke

Proud to serve

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 9:18am PST 
Another question, in said situation, were the owner of the dog who was being attacked to kill the attacking dog, would there be liability there? I've always said that if a dog attacked mine I would not hesitate to kill the attacker to save my dog, but I never knew if that would mean a lawsuit or if it would be considered justifiable force.
[notify]

John

Sqeuaky?

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 9:50am PST 
How horrible, why would you have a dog like that out when you run a business based on constant stranger intrusion. I hope the pup is ok and that he doesn't carry too much emotional baggage as a result of this.

I'm pretty sure that would qualify as self defense. If someone really wanted to be a jerk they could slap you with a civil lawsuit, but I don't think any animal control officer would side with the attacker.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 11:31am PST 
Some dogs are comfortable with humans but will not tolerate a strange dog on their property.
[notify]
Lylah

The harder I wag- the more friends- I have

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 12:16pm PST 
That's what I was thinking, Bianca. It's also possible that the dog loves other dogs...but not on his property. If the owner didn't know, since they might not have strange dogs coming and going, then I could see why he figured it was safe to have the dog out.

As for the legal steps you can take, it's going to depend on the laws where you reside.

"I've always said that if a dog attacked mine I would not hesitate to kill the attacker to save my dog, but I never knew if that would mean a lawsuit or if it would be considered justifiable force."

I don't know about where others live, but here you can kill a dog for growling. So yep! You may use lethal force if the dog attacks.
[notify]
Sabrina

American Bully- Love

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 12:17pm PST 
even if it is on his property he should be aware that they're some people that have service dogs.if a fast food place or a mall can realize that than why can't he.he shouldn't have an dog aggresssive dog out there if he's running a public business.i hope the dog is okay and i pray for a full recovery.
wishes
xoxo sabrina
[notify]
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 2:07pm PST 
Yeah but this guy saw she had a service dog and still never bothered to put his dog away.
[notify]
Bobby

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 3:28pm PST 
The person who owns the attacker dog is responsible for the the injuries to the SD. Time to get legal advice . Good thing Bobby is good at protecting himself
[notify]