GO!

Housing - Retired Service dogs

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moxie CGC- CPE3- PSD-Retired

Men come and go,- but Moxie is- forever.

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 11:49am PST 
do you know housing rights of retired service dogs?

Has this never been discussed?
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 12:20pm PST 
People I'm acquainted with who rent and live with retired service dogs in addition to their new service dog have used Emotional Support Animal status for the retired dogs.

This legally allows them to keep both SD and retired SD if there is any conflict with management.

Information about Emotional Support Animals in no-pet housing: http://www.bazelon.org/issues/housing/infosheets/fhinfosheet6.html
[notify]
SHADOW,- Certified- Service Dog

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 1:30pm PST 
What I told my apartment management that when Shadow retires he'll only be retiring from the public... He will still be a Service Dog that does house duty only. The new Service Dog is for public and home use... Shadow will have certain work at home and the my new will be doing all the rest...

Shadow Walker
[notify]

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 2:15pm PST 
That depends on the disability. It most certainly can be to the detriment of the disabled person to have to rehome a dog that they have formed such an intense bond with through the years that they were a service dog. Therefore, the ESA status would be very valid. It would definitely be legit with retired PSDs and possibly other medical disabilities as it is well known that emotional stress can worsen the symptoms of medical conditions, and I can't think of anything more stressful.

Legally, a retired SD has no legal standing. They would have to be reclassified as an ESA.

Edited by moderator Wed May 19, '10 3:19pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 2:27pm PST 
Like the others have said, once your SD retires they have the option of being pet status or ESA. I believe that for housing, people with any type of disability (not just psychiatric) can use ESA status if they need the assistance of their retired SD. Many OTers need the assistance of their retired SD at home while they are raising/training their new dog, and people with program dogs might need the assistance while getting used to their new dog-- especially if they need any type of medical alert that the new dog doesn't know yet.

Personally I prefer to live in pet allowed housing so that I don't run into this type of problem. For people who have lived in a place for a while, the owners of the apartment might not even care about official designations and allow the retired SD to stay on because they know the dog is well behaved etc. But do remember that ESAs can be ejected for disruptive behavior like barking. Some retired SDs might develop some separation anxiety, so it is good to be aware that behavior like that can cause your ESA not to be allowed so you are sure to work on it right away if anything starts.
[notify]
Roanna

Guide dogs, the- ones others- emulate

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 3:36pm PST 
Which is why I mentioned trying to have the dog designated an ESA as the SOLE reason to keep it as being unethical. Still using it in a diminished capacity such as home use only is fine, but lying about it simply to keep it is not the correct course of action.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 4:40pm PST 
I'm not sure I understand about the conflict about keeping retired SDs in the home. I don't think it would be lying to switch the status of a SD to an ESA. The bond is there and if it benefits the person with the disability (and the person has the necessary documentation from the medical provider), then to me, that is valid.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 7:32pm PST 
What if the service dog is a something like a guide dog or hearing dog, can they claim it is an ESA?
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 10:00am PST 
Here is the Doris Day guide to animals in housing:

http://www.ddal.org/pdf/bffl.pdf

It has a ton of info on ESAs in housing. I cannot find specifically where I read it, but I am nearly positive that I have read that people with non-psychiatric disabilities can take advantage of ESA status if the animal's presence assists them with their disability. I remember that when the ACAA made their ESA rules more specific for flying, suddenly people with other disabilities could no longer use ESA status, and I think that they can in housing still. You'll have to do some more research on your own, though, I just don't have the time to find it, sorry!
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 10:16am PST 
That ESA is an interesting idea. Our friend gave us Sampson after he could no longer work as her dog guide. I take him with me anywhere I can get away with it since in some cases it is either leave him home all day or stay home myself. Yesterday he spent 7 hours at a medical goods recycling center while I worked. That is one disadvantage of a dog without access rights. I also had Raven with me, a dog guide foster puppy that our state laws permit almost anywhere. I left home before 7 AM and didn't get back until after 10 PM. Sampson had to stay in the car during a meeting at the library and then went home with my wife while Raven and I went to help with youth baseball. So while an ESA dog might be able to stay in your home, you may have to also. It would never do for manyof my dog guide using friends. I don't know how pet owners manage.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2