GO!

"Pit Boss", Shorty Rossi's "service dogs"

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Ando

Shepherd Savior.

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 9:41am PST 
Have any of you seen the new Animal Planet show, Pit Boss? It talks a lot about Shorty's dog being service animals and shows a lot of clips of them in-harness and being taken to public places. What do they do for him? I haven't been able to find anything.

shrug
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 10:03am PST 
He used to be an actor and was injured in a stunt. Apparently, he became interested in service dogs shortly after and in the ADA. He started working on training one of the pit bulls as a service dog.

Two of the dogs are service dogs and one is in training. His injury is spinal cord related. The only information I have found about what the dog does is "carries heavy loads" due to his spinal cord injury. Of course, the dog may perform other tasks as well, since it sounds like the injury was complex.

I will say I'm confused as to why he has two dogs "registered" as service dogs and another "in training".
[notify]
BELLA CERTIFIED SERVICE DOG

GOOD DOGGY

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 10:13am PST 
i dont get it either i cant find any thing about his pitbull service dog.
[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 10:34am PST 
I've watched every episode so far, and I have not seen or heard one word about Shorty's dogs being service dogs. He goes everywhere without them, and he has no difficulty with the ladder on his boat which did give his sister problems. I don't believe I've ever seen his dogs in harness except when they made the visit to the nursing home. The visit to the nursing home was as therapy dogs, not service dogs.

His sister does have a service dog, which may be a pit. They showed that dog in harness, but certainly didn't make a fuss about it.

ETA: Ah, here it is: Pet Expo page on Shorty Rossi

It appears Geisha is retired, and Hercules is his active service dog. Since he owns his own home, and his own business, it wouldn't appear that he needs anyone's permission to have his retired dog, his active dog, and his dog in training.

Edited by author Tue Feb 2, '10 10:41am PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 10:39am PST 
Working Pit Bull

Scroll down to about the middle of the page. You'll see him with a dog in full gear.
[notify]
Jack

bunnies - YAY!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 1:29pm PST 
i know that in the last episode (i think) they were in a restaurant with a dog & they kind of laughed (it seemed) when the waiter asked if it was a service dog. i didn't like that it seemed like the dog was begging at the table of the restaurant. i guess that it could have been his sister's dog but it looked a lot like one of his. shrug even if it is considered a SD, it seems like he is able to do pretty much everything without his dog with him. its not with him most of the time when he goes out to catch dogs (didn't he climb over a fence to get to domonico?). also, he was on jimmy kimmel a few days ago & he didn't mention anything about it & it wasn't with him & he was able to get around just fine.

i know that not all disabilities are visible but it seems like he gets by just fine when it isn't with him. i'm not trying to say that he doesn't need a SD but it seems really suspicious.

BTW: i think that it is great that the pit is super well trained and if it is a SD its great - it shows that pits aren't different than any other dog.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 1:46pm PST 
I believe we saw that dog with the sister when she was waiting for Shorty to pick her up, but I could be wrong.

We don't have a whole lot of info, they certainly don't make an issue of Hercules being a service dog on the show, and I'm not sure exactly why the same people who would be outraged if a random stranger demanded that they justify the fact of their having a service dog, are so hung up about whether or not a total stranger about whom they know nothing except what's shown on tv is "entitled" to his service dog. We do not know, we do not have enough information to know, and none of us is likely to be in a position to be legally entitled to ask him the two legal questions, "Is this dog a service dog?" and "What's an example of a task the dog does for you?"
[notify]
Jack

bunnies - YAY!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 2:03pm PST 
addy, i totally understand where you are coming from. i just meant that i hope that he isn't abusing the system (i'm not saying that he is). on the show he is without the dogs several times. of course that doesn't mean anything, but it makes me curious.
[notify]
Figaro SDIT

Can't read my,- can't read my- poodle face

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 2:10pm PST 
Addy, when some has a high profile position with an SD, I would hope they would work to the best of their ability to represent SDs well. AFAIK, no one here on dogster has a TV show. It's kind of like how I get annoyed when gamers are misrepresented.

I'm sure there is some aspect of your life you'd hate to see misrepresented on TV. However, I haven't seen the show, so I can't comment one way or the other.

Edited by author Tue Feb 2, '10 2:10pm PST

[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 2:12pm PST 
Is dwarfism considered a disability?

....I mean some dwarfs do have a hard time getting around, or can't go very far because of being a dwarf.

I've noticed that his dogs wear the RuffWear Webmaster harness alot, and they seem to have some patches and stuff on them. Not sure what they say exactly though. When the dog was at the restaurant, it was mostly just sitting under the table. It was lying under the table when the waiter asked about it. Then the camera showed the dog looking at shorty and licking it's lips while it was sitting down next to the table...but only for a brief second. I think it would be hard to judge and say they let the dog beg at the table based on that split second. Maybe they were leaving and the dog got a look at the food and licked its lips.shrug

Edited by author Tue Feb 2, '10 2:13pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4