GO!

Tax deduction: How does it work?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Reboot - Retired SD

Retired and- livin' it up!

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 2:46am PST 
My mom asked me today if I had any idea how service dog tax deductions work. I do not so I thought I'd come here!

I heard they were only for dogs for physical disabilities, but isn't a mental issue technically physical at its root? I looked things up online but couldn't really find anything about it, unfortunately. I'm 18, but I don't work or anything, I'm a dependent and still in school. Would that affect being able to deduct her expenses from it? What CAN you write off? Dog food? Vest/collar/etc.? Vet visits?

Any info you can give me would be GREAT, since even though we do our taxes through an accountant, my mom still wants to know what's going on and how it works. Thanks everyone!
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 3:56am PST 
Save all your receipts for any moneys spent for the SD and they go under the medical deduction. If you have a psych dog and the psych condition is biological in its cause (most are...such as a chemical imbalance in the brain), then you are ok.
[notify]
Becker, CGC,- LEK-SD

Where will we go- today?

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 2:13pm PST 
I have gone through this before. From what I have gathered, it is very difficult to prove a SD write off, and if the dog is a psych dog then it is not covered whether we think it should be or not. It is not listed as an accepted SD. You would need to have medical records to show that it is a physical problem for them to actually do it and then it is really hard to prove still.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

Guide Dog or Other Service Animal
You can include in medical expenses the costs of buying, training, and maintaining a guide dog or other service animal to assist visually-impaired or hearing-impaired person, or a person with other physical disabilities.

Edited by author Sat Mar 3, '12 1:59pm PST

[notify]

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 5:25pm PST 
My SD is a medical alert dog for a very definite physical problem.

But...my dad is a tax guy. He used to do taxes for H &R Block. He told me that if a disabled person with a psych condition (such as bi polar) can show that the psych condition is caused by a physical problem, then the dog is covered. If you are audited, you will have to provide medical documentation.

As for what is deductible....Every penny you spend on your SD is deductible...food, toys, bedding, the whole bit.
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 6:33pm PST 
It goes under your medical deductions. If you have medical deductions that are high enough, it will make a difference. But if not, then it really doesn't make much of a difference.
[notify]
Reboot - Retired SD

Retired and- livin' it up!

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 8:51pm PST 
Interesting. My anxiety was never properly diagnosed but because of when it started I've suspected it's post-traumatic stress disorder. There was never a definite label put on it, just "oh you have anxiety take these pills" from my doctor (who I am no longer seeing) and my psych/therapist didn't diagnose it, either, so I have no idea.

My dog also does some work to mitigate my terrible blood pressure issues, though... I can't bend down without blacking out and I have dizzy/blackout episodes, so I'm not sure if that would make me able to say she helps with a physical disability too. thinking I suppose I'll just have to talk to our accountant when we get our taxes filed.
[notify]
Figaro SDIT

Can't read my,- can't read my- poodle face

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 1:34am PST 
Bipolar disorder shows up on brain scans, because our brains are actaully wired differently. So with that evidence, I feel it's ethical to deduct Fig once he's done training.
[notify]
Becker, CGC,- LEK-SD

Where will we go- today?

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 2:27am PST 
So I wonder if next year after I get Becker from LEK if since he is from a program I could deduct him. Next year our medical expenses will be much much higher than this year, so that might actually be great timing. We will see. I will ask HR Block when we go there to file for this year. Would be nice though. Do you know if they would need me to show a scan to get the deduction?
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 6:05am PST 
I do not know anything about tax implications, but I do know the definition of disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act. A person with a disability is anyone with a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. There are many mental issues that fall under that definition. If an animal provides a service to mitigate the limitations of that disability, then it should be covered. smile
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 7:37am PST 
Boo...

You sound like me with the blood pressure issues. Google Dysautonomia.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2