GO!

flying

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

The Legend- of Zelda- Sweetheart

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 11:08pm PST 
If I have a therapy dog (she's very small 7lbs) that goes to hospitals. Can she fly on my lap in the cabin of a plane? Is there a cost for her ticket?
Thanks!
[notify]
Bretta - **Guardian- Angel Now**

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 11:30pm PST 
No, therapy dogs don't have the same protections under the air carrier access act as service dogs or ESAs. (ESAs require a note from a mental health professional.)

You are small enough to fit into a carry-on bag and fly under the seat.
[notify]
Sati

We speak out- against- discrimination

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 12:17am PST 
I've flown with my cats before I had Sati, and my parents just flew out here with their yorshi. The good news is you won't have to negotiate bulkhead seating!!!
Just make sure you book the flight as in advance as possible and after booking call the airline and make the pet arrangements. It may cost you an extra 150 or so depending on the airline, you will need vet papers, and an airline approved carrier. Other than that it's very straight forward, and much safer than putting an animal in cargo.
[notify]

Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 7:53am PST 
"The good news is you won't have to negotiate bulkhead seating!!!"thinking

You won't get bulkhead seating because your dog will have to go under the seat in front of you. I flew with my cat years ago - before I could afford to fly business class. While I always requested bulkhead seating because of my disability, my choice came down to accommodating my needs or putting my cat in cargo. No contest!big grin Fortunately, I was flying regularly with that airline and they were able to accommodate both my disability and my cat.

ETA; Sati's right about booking as far in advance as possible. Most airlines limit the number of animals flying in the cabin so you want to reserve one of those spots ASAP.

Have a great flight.wave

Edited by author Mon Sep 29, '08 7:57am PST

[notify]
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 9:25am PST 
Hi Legend puppy
Maybe this can help a little bit. Call your airline and doublecheck, though.
http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-and-animals/a4340-how-to- travel-with-your-pet-by-air.html
have fun on your trip, sonja
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 10:58am PST 
Do Airlines in the US still allow pets on flights if they fit in a carry-on that goes under the seat.

Many Canadian airlines don't now claiming allergies to other passengers. And Air Canada can be difficult to even get a service dog on. Other carriers are fine with service dogs, but AC a pain because of the new pet policies. I was just curious.

Taser
[notify]

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 11:15am PST 
Yeah, Taser. US airlines are very different from Canadian airlines with regard to flying pets in the cabin.

Air Canada wants some assurance that the dog is really a SD. Given the laws in different provinces, it isn't hard to provide.
[notify]
The Legend- of Zelda- Sweetheart

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 11:38am PST 
Thanks all! Very helpful.
[notify]
Sati

We speak out- against- discrimination

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 12:23pm PST 
I wasn't suggesting that she would get bulkhead seating, I was making a statement that she at least wouldn't have to deal with the airlines who are supposed to be accomodating us but keep taking away bulkhead seating by turning it into exit rows.
It's much more straightforward to bring an animal classified as a pet because you jump through a few hoops and it's done. I'm not even going to go into what I had to deal with flying out of JFK with Sati. (the other 3 airports we've been in were fine) If anyone remembers the old man who had to pull his pants down publically for the TSA this summer, well, I went through the same screening crew on the same day. I was told it was "a new crew" and to let it slide.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 1:24pm PST 
I wasn't sure what you meant!laugh out loud

Having a disability and/or traveling with a SD doesn't guarantee a bulkhead seat. I remember one remarkable flight where someone with a hearing disability wanted to go head-to-head with me over bulkhead seating. The ticket agent took one look at me and reassigned the the person with a hearing disability to the far reaches of the aricraft!big laughbig laughbig laugh

Edited by author Mon Sep 29, '08 1:25pm PST

[notify]