GO!

Service Dogs for Fibromyalgia

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Houdini

Ya better watch- me I live up to- my name!

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 11:11pm PST 
I am so glad that I found this forum tonight. I have had fibro for almost 11 years now. I have 2 dogs a mini poodle Spike who is almost 2 that I have had for a little over a year and a bluetick / lab mix named Houdini who is almost 3 months old. I am really wanting to train Houdini to be a service dog to help me around the house I don't know if I would be able to use him out in public since I didn't get him already trained as a service dog. I want to be able to use him for balance and to assist me with stuff that my little Spike wouldn't be able to do because of his size. The only organization in my area that provides service dogs say that the service dog has to be the only dog in the house and I can't get rid of Spike. I would be extremely grateful if anyone can help me get started with Houdini I know that it should be easier to start training him now while he is young with the smaller stuff . Houdini also makes a great footwarmer right now since he is only the size of Spike at the moment. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
[notify]
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 11:25pm PST 
Hi Houdini wave
Whoever told you that the SD is supposed to be the only dog is kind of funny.
There is no such rule and you chose however your life should look like.

You can an should work with Houdini on general obedience, and see what kind of behaviors he shows already. Practice a lot of handling and maybe get him used to wearing a harness. You can practice happy obedience with him off leash during the romps and at home.
We got puppy raisers here on the forum - Washi and Laura - veeery experienced young girls. Maybe you can find some good advice through themway to go
Then also you can get in touch with organizations like
http://www.nlmad.org/

http://www.guidedogs.com/site/PageSer ver?pagename=programs_adult_mobility

http://www.guidedogsofthedes ert.org/puppy_training.html
They do mobtraining as well..

http://www.mahalo.com/Mobility_assistance_dog
has some nice links

http://landofpuregold.com/service-groups.htm
that one is nice has lots of information and traings/er referrals.

Have fun - and there is mooore out there.
Enjoy your sweet sweet pup, sonja

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 7:48am PST 
I have a prescription for a service dog due to fibromyalgia. My dog is a large breed and assist me with balance. On command he will pull me up inclines and will allow me to place my hands on his back to get up stairs. His body heat provides comfort when I am having flair ups. He is invaluable to my overall health and well being. I haven't broken another bone since he has been trained to assist me so I walk more inspite of the pain.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 8:33am PST 
Sadie dose so much for me and most of it is mobility and most of my issues are do to FIBROMYALIA
I can't say much more then that other then it is painful and sadie is alway sensitive to my achs and pains.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 4:33pm PST 
Hi Everyone...I have had Fibromyalgia for over 25 yrs...before she passed away, my Akita was my therapy dog...she was awesome at helping me get out of the tub or helping me off the floor if I fell, or keeping me from falling on the steps. I miss her very much still...would love to have another therapy dog, they are so wonderful,especially helping to cope with the emotional aspects of the disease as well as the physical assistance blue dog
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 12:49pm PST 
I have a script for a SD, but I've never pursued identifying either of my dogs as such. I have Fibro, lupus, OA, RA, but the one causing the most balance problems is neurathapy. Lily (57# Siberian mix) will jump off her bed from two rooms away and come to steady me when I wobble. It's amazing how she knows. She also scans my body at nap and bed time to see which area needs her warmth the most. I've seen her give Moira a look like, "Get over here and help me", but Ri is oblivious. On the other hand, this morning I couldn't get out of bed because there was a pillow on the floor and I couldn't step over it at that time of day. Moira accessed the situation and pulled the pillow out of the way. Lily wouldn't think of that so I guess I need them both. Moira (33# Border Collie mix) is too small to use for any body work so it's not expected, of course.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3