GO!

Flying with a Service Dog In-Training

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Marley

CGC

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 11:24am PST 
I am doing a quick trip (2 days). To the service dog training center through which I got my guide dog in-training puppy. I am flying on Southwest. Has anyone had any experence flying with a SDiT on Southwest. I called them, and they said they would allow it, since we are going to the training center and he has all his public access training, but I am worried I will have problems at the airport, or coming home.

Any experences, ideas, suggestions?
[notify]
Sophie CGC- CSD

da da dada da da- BAT DOG!!!!!

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 12:41pm PST 
Personally I'm not to crazy about flying southwest. although they tend to be cheaper, they also require proof that the dog is a service dog. They'll accept any form on ID. They do not accept a vest as proof. They require some sort of ID or paperwork stating that dog is a service dog which they are not supposed to require. I talked to jet blue and even though they are slightly more expensive ($20), they just require the dog be wearing a vest or service dog harness identifying them as such.

Question, if your dog is already public access trained, why do you still have him as "in training" status? If he is for yourself he should be ready to drop the in training patches and travel as a regular service dog. If I decide to fly in Oct I'll probably remove Sophie's training patches before we fly to avoid any problems.
[notify]
Marley

CGC

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 3:28pm PST 
This dog is not for me. He is a guide-dog in training. Marley is my own SDiT.
[notify]