GO!

Psychiatric Service Dog certification

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '07 12:53pm PST 
Welcome Ginger, I haven't heard of CGCA (or maybe I don't recognize the acronym!). But I understand wanting proof that someone besides you thinks your dog is well trained! I have found that having a support group of friends with service dogs that I can turn to for advice and support has been a life-saver. The Psychiatric Service Dog Society www.psychdog.org has a listserv that is great, and I am in charge of a group for all types of service dogs here on dogster. Talking with others about your ups, downs, fears, concerns adn triumphs and hearing about theirs can be very helpful. I know that when something goes wrong or very well, my support group of friends are the first people that I go to, and they help me through the rough times and cheer me on during the good times!
[notify]
Lucy T.

"I Love Lucy"- (L.B.) =]

Barked: Sun Dec 20, '09 1:14pm PST 
This was really helpful information. Thanks! I am trying to get my Min Pin mix certified by the time he is 2. He is only 2-3 months. Just adopted him and he is very in tune with me when I get a panic attack and anxiety. Right at my side and very obedient. If anyone has information in certifying as an ESD first or what to do, please let me know.
[notify]
Kali

Cat in Shepherd- Clothing

Barked: Wed Mar 17, '10 10:38pm PST 
I AM SO GLAD THERE IS THIS FORUM! I've just been approved by my psychiatrist to train my dog as a PSD and we are kind of in the woods as to what to do. I live currently in san diego but Might be moving to colorado for college. I suffer from PTSD anxiety and depression. I would like to have my dog "certified" or at least begin public acsess training but have no idea where to start. now sabrina, did you take the CGC before taking the public access test? how did you go about getting state approval to be a SDIT? kali knows all of her basic obedience but needs practice and experience in public places. shes a rescue and I've been working with her since day one with her socialization issues but do plan on getting a trainer to help me finish her up. I would like/need a piece of paper stating she is a therapy dog in order to get approval to house her in the dorms. so any information on how to go about this would be wonderful! I really would like to have some type of documentation before i start school in august or else i cant bring her! so anything helps!!!
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 1:04am PST 
The CGC is done before the PAT since the CGC is the basics for a well mannered pet. Upon reading your profile, I see that you have severe hip dysplasia. It is generally suggested that one starts with a dog with no health issues as part of stacking the deck in your favor. Sabrina's mom will probably be along shortly and can explain more in depth.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 9:02am PST 
Wow, this is a really old thread- 3 yrs old!

PSDS has a step by step for training your own SD, it would probably be helpful for you to read it:

http://www.psychdog.org/training_ownerstandard.html
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 1:54pm PST 
Even though I never did it with Gracie, I'm going to have Tuvok "certified" soon.

A dog trainer friend of mine who has watched me raise and train Tuvok and is also a CGC evaluator is going to give Tuvok and I the public access test on the Psychiatric Service Dog Society's website.

I plan to use this as proof of training along with Tuvoks CGC and any obedience/rally titles I get with him. I'm only doing this to have proof if I ever need it. Ok, it's more than that- I LIKE preparing Tuvok to get obedience titles. So far he has his RN and one leg towards his RA

I'm also willing to help others in my area as I am a dog trainer with SD experience and am also a CGC evaluator. I enjoy going on outings with other SD and their persons when I can.

Edited by author Thu Mar 18, '10 1:57pm PST

[notify]
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 7:36pm PST 
Even Sabrina's certification means nothing if her trainer is not an accredited service dog trainer whether she has a piece of paper or not. That piece of paper saying Sabrina is certified means squat outside the US as it's not a real certification under International Service Dog Certification Standards which is a test which must be administered in person by an accredited trainer.

Still means nothing in Canada or outside the States if asked for identification papers.

Some programs do have the capability to legally certify Service Dogs in the United States. As some Canadians get dogs from the States that are certified for Canada and my program certifies all its dogs and cats that are working in public in the US.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 7:59pm PST 
Taser,

I hate to break it to you but no certification means squat in the US. In the US, certification is not required or even preferred.

If you read her explanation of why she did it, it wasn't for any recognition. She did it for herself, to have self assurance that as an owner trainer (and a first time one at that), she did a good job and that Sabrina was trained to the level she should be. That's it. She didn't do it for anyone or any thing else. Having owner trained my own SD, I understand that desire. Had I had the availability, I probably would have done so with Harley for the same reasons.
[notify]
Dora CGC

Wag your tail- and the world- wags back

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 8:39pm PST 
I do not remember her saying she did it so it would mean squat outside of the United States. Not all of us travel outside the good ol USA. I think she did it for very good reason, Herself. I commend her but that is just my opinion.cheercheer
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Mar 18, '10 8:50pm PST 
Oh yeah, and the US has an agreement with Canada and an American Service Dog handler has public access rights with their dog when visiting Canada, certified or not.

As Dora said, we aren't all globe trotters. If you were, then you need to look into the laws where you travel. If not, then...it don't matter.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3