GO!

Does anyone have an English Bulldog as their SD?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Rosa

Momma's Rosa- Girl

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 8:55pm PST 
So my mom is bringing another dog into our house.....an english bulldog. She thinks it will be a great idea to have both of us as her sd's. she says for me not to worry the new girl wont take away any of my jobs i do for mom but the new girl will have jobs that arent so easy for me...like retrieving things for her..so i guess it will be ok...are any of you service dogs english bulldogs> ? i am just wondering if this new dog is actually going to be good a service doggin'
have a great day..
Rosa
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Fri Apr 21, '06 7:52am PST 
Hey Rosa, I think English Bulldogs would probably make great SDs! I would just be worried about the training issues with you and a new dog. Personally I feel that until you have your primary SD trained, you shouldn't bring a new dog into the home. It has always seemed to me that when you bring a new dog into the home it changes the dynamic. Usually the new dog requires a lot of training and attention, training time which should (in my opinion) be spent getting your SDIT fully trained. So I always reccomend not acquiring a new dog until your service dog is completely trained. And even then your service dog will probably need intense practicing all the time because their routine will be disrupted by the new dog.

In addition, I'm not a huge fan of having two service dogs. It seems to me (and again, this is my opinion) that your service dog should have a very special bond with you. Your service dog needs to know that their place is right by your side in all cases, all situations. By having two service dogs you will be sending mixed messages to your dogs. One message say "hey, come with me everywhere, help me out so I can be independant" and the other message says "but only do this half the time".

Not to mention the mixed messages you would be sending to the community. We have a lot of problems with people thinking we are faking, and if you go around one day with a Chi as a SD and then the next day with an English Bulldog, people will likely think you are faking. This will reflect poorly on you and will result in more access challenges, and it will also reflect poorly on the service dog community as a whole.

So personally (and this is just my opinion) I feel that you should choose... do you want Rosa to be your service dog or do you want the English Bulldog to be your service dog? If you want Rosa to be your SD, personally I wouldn't reccomend getting another dog until she is fully trained as your SD. If you want the English Bulldog to be your SD, that's fine. But understand that you should concentrate your SD training efforts on one dog.

The final option is getting an English Bulldog to be your SD, and using Rosa as your SDIT until the English Bulldog arrives and has basic obedience training/public access manners down. Once the English Bulldog arrives you would need to focus your training on that dog, but you could still use Rosa until the English Bulldog was public access ready. Once the English Bulldog was public access trained, you could still make sure that Rosa knew how to behave and work etc. by taking her out like once a week to pet friendly stores and such to keep her training up.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear. I just really feel that you should have only one primary SD and that you shoudnl't get a new dog until your current one is fully trained.

If you do get the English Bulldog, make sure to post lots of pictures! I love that breed!
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Fri Apr 21, '06 8:13am PST 
I have nothing to say about the English Bulldog as a SD. I have no experience with any dog as an SD and don't even know any SD's.

But, I do have to tell you, that if you do decide to get an English Bulldog in general, do your research. It is so insanely hard to find a good reputable (English) Bulldog breeder, that it's not even funny. You have to find one that can have proof that their dogs are healthy, as in OFA'd in Cardiac, Thyroid, Hips and Elbows. It doesn't hurt for them to be in the DNA bank either. I stress though, the hips. Bulldogs are known for having horrible hip problems, and if you don't get the right one, it can be very very expensive. Almost all bulldogs also have severe skin/allergy problems that can most times be very hard and very expensive to try to maintain, and have to be controlled by expensive food therapy, shampoo therapy and medicine. They're also known for eye problems because of all of their wrinkles and horrible respitory problems.

Please, if you do decide to get one, for the sake of your wallet, don't skimp on price when it comes to buying a Bulldog puppy. Quality is not expensive, it's priceless. In the long run, the most healthy AND expensive bulldog puppy will save you money in the long run.

Do your research on breeders. There are sevreral people who just breed bulldogs beacause of their popularity to make a quick buck, and do nothing to further the health or temperment of the breed. This breed is a tricky one. Best of luck to you!

Edited by author Fri Apr 21, '06 8:13am PST

[notify]

Louey

It is a Dogs- life and not- always a bugs

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 7:50pm PST 
I have been looking at a possibility of one for a service dog myself.
I found a breeder in VT. and thinking about the price she is asking.
[notify]
Ando

Shepherd Savior.

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 9:08pm PST 
Whoa, nevermind. BOL why did this get bumped up?laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Jan 23, '10 9:10pm PST

[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 4:36am PST 
Besides the health testing issues that Zeus pointed out, there are several issues related to the breed that you need to seriously consider.

#1 The breathing problems which means they pant easily and can drool. If you don't mind having to wipe down anything fetched. They also tend to snore loud enough to wake the dead.
#2 They are very heat intolerant. They can easily have heatstroke on a 70 degree day.
#3 Finding one with the appropriate "drive" will be difficult. Most EBs are very laid back to the point of having no drive.
#4 They are not natural retrievers.

I've been around quite a few over the years. I've only seen one that wouldn't fall out with more than a jog around the back yard. She came from a reputable breeder, was kept lean, and had been on what was more or less a conditioning program from the time she came home at 8 weeks.

Honestly, there are plenty of other breeds of the same size that are much better suited to SD work.
[notify]