GO!

Service Dog Liability Insurance?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jaydens- Rowena,- SD-c, PAT,- CGC

It's all about- the frisbee!!

Barked: Tue Jan 10, '06 10:34pm PST 
I am in a public access class with my mom and the teacher told my mom she needed to purchase liability insurance for me to take me out as a service dog. She has never heard of this and wants to know if any other handler trained service dogs' moms and dads have heard anything about this? It is not like I would bite anyone or mean to scare anyone... some people are just scared of dogs.
[notify]
Tiny

Tiny- All Heart with a- Big Bark.

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 8:19am PST 
Never heard of it. Ask the teacher where the information came from. Maybe the teacher does not like dogs.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 10:05am PST 
I've never heard of it, either. What kind of public access class is this-- geared towards service dogs or just towards general disability related access issues?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 6:48pm PST 
This "teacher" has trained service dogs for autistic children and I think maybe if a person is training and certifying dogs for people they need insurance, but never have I ever heard of K9 Liability insurance until last week's class. We are in his public access class that he teaches future therapy dogs and service dogs... based on ADI's public access test. Rowena is pretty well behaved in public, but I don't think that she is ready to pass this test until she has matured a bit more.
[notify]
SHADOW - RIP 14 June- 2014

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '06 6:26pm PST 
Shadow is attending a school that follows the rules of Assistance Dogs International... I found this on their site long before I found the school (found it on the site) and copied their public access test.

http://www.adionline.org/publicaccess.html

This is what I trained Shadow on to prepare him on becoming a Service Dog. We had a class on the laws etc... and not once did a liability insurance came up. I would ask him for proof of this.... The ADA doesn't even require it and that's what counts on having a Service Dog in public...

Happy Tails has certified apx 18 teams in the past 10 years and NOT ONE HAS LIABILITY INSURANCE... I wouldn't pay if he brought in the forms... It's not required by the ADA.. I would love to read "his" law on the insurance... Sounds fishy to me...
[notify]
Aspen Winter- Winner

Polar Bear.- Lover of humans.

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 10:21am PST 
My dog is liscensed through therapy dogs international and for 30.00 a year he gets insurance. I think it's close to a couple hundred thousand dollars. I can't remember at the moment and I'm out of state so can't look it up. Go to http://www.tdi-dog.org/ and check it out. IF you want more info just email me and I'll try to help. Insurance is very important. It explains in the insurance that you aren't exactly insuring the dog as you can't really insure a dog it's the handler since dogs can't be insured. But if your dog were to accidently scratch or harm someone while in the capacity of a therapy dog it would be covered. There are other things covered as well. Right now is a very busy time for them because all of the renewals are due on Dec 31 so if they don't get right back to you have patience. Denise
[notify]
bubbles

bella is the- original dogster- diva!

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 12:16pm PST 
my dog is a therapy dog with sunshine friends in nys. i didn't have to purchase insurance. does sunshine friends have their own policy and it covers all of the volunteers maybe?
[notify]
♥ The- Golden- Snitch

I have wings &- know how to use- 'em!

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '06 2:35pm PST 
If you do join an organization that claims to have special coverage for Service or Therapy dogs, please do your homework & make sure the coverage is really there before forking over money each year to belong. I fell into a trap years ago, I belonged for two years before finding out there really was no coverage. The organization itself was a sham. Never believe what is said, find out for yourself.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 7:51pm PST 
I am thinking that it is something that HE needs for the dogs he trains and certifies. He told me I should look into getting some for Rowena, but I had never heard of such a creature. He also told me he wouldn't certify my dog because then she would have to be on his insurance plan. He says he insures his dogs through his regular house insurance, but we rent. All of the other service dog folks I know who are training their own dogs have never heard of this, (and those who have been able to get their dogs certified) have not responded yay or nay either. Fortunately, the only money I am forking out to the trainer is specifically for the training, nothing more. Would love to hear anything more on this. I already have ADI's public access test material, thanks. In the meantime, Rowena is frequently complimented on how well she behaves when in public. How come no one ever compliments me on how I am behaving so well in public? I haven't attacked anyone yet for asking if she is a service dog even though it says she is all over her, haven't ripped anyone's arm off for petting her with out asking and haven't screamed and yelled when people see the dog and talk and look at her and never look up the leash to look at and speak to me? Go figure! Thanks for all the responses.
[notify]
Sir.- Tuxanawlden- SDIT

The Heir

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '06 11:18pm PST 
I have never heard of such a thing, my parents own a local store and they don't make people with service animals have or show proof of anything. Tux does not have Liability Insurance or anything like that, and he is a SDIT. But remember if the teacher is being rude, remind him that you don't have to take a class to be a service dog under the ADA. Remind him that you are there by your own will, and that you are paying HIM.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2