GO!

Santa's "Helper" was very mean and rude to us

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '05 2:13pm PST 
Wait Nolte, I have the paper stating the ADA laws and they include hospitals on the list of places that cannot exclude SD. http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm The Delta Society says that they can be excuded from certain areas only if they can prove the animal poses a serious health hazard such as an operating room. http://deltasociety.org/ServiceAccessDenied.htm
None of the times I was in the hospital would have caused a serious health hazard to have Lily with me. They just didn't want to deal with the trouble of having accompany me outside. Their excuse for excluding her was the possibility of allergies! Both hospitals don't treat physical illnesses just mental ones. How can she be posing a health hazard if there are no sterile areas? The ERs treat physical illnesses but have never denied us access. One place actually likes her alot. The nurses fell in love with those sad brown eyes.

Anyways I have not been able to reach the guy yet but I have been trying. Strange today, I heard alot of children asking their parents what a dog was doing in a supermarket. Hope their parents can explain it correctly. I usually hear one or two but this was at least 10. I sometimes can hear the parent explaining and have even been asked if what they said was right.
[notify]
Nolte (Retired Guide Dog)

Guide dog work- is a joyous- thing!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 11:47pm PST 
The fact is they CAN be denided, and the hospital, if it comes up with a reason, is exempt from the ADA. And they do come up with reasons, as you've found with the psychiatric facility. You could fight it, but they'll come up with reasons in their favor, and will use the ADA to back them, as it clearly states they CAN deny a SD.

Most people I know have had little or no problems with hopsitals or other health facilities, thankfully, but in most cases it's just because the staff are really dog-friendly and that makes a big difference.

Most people have no problems going into hospitals for tests, outpatient surgery, visiting other people, etc. but for admissions, it can get tricky.

When I'm hospitalized I don't take my dog out to potty myself, I have someone else take the dog for me. Usually the staff argue over who will take my dog outside. LOL! I think they like taking him out because they get a little smoke break.

I've been admitted to the ICU on several occasions and kept my dog with me, no problem at all. I think it depends on the hospital and the staff working at that hospital most of the time.

But, I've been told again and again I'm lucky that the hospital allows my dog to stay, because legally they do not have to do so.

Also, if I'm so sick that I'm not going to be working my dog (which does occur now and then) I leave him at home (well, with my parents at their house). Since he won't be working anyway, there's really no reason to have him with me. It's good to let your dog stay home on occasion so it is accustomed to being separated from you. In a case where the dog may have to be boarded at a vet clinic, for example, if it's ill... it'd be good to know the dog won't become depressed being separated from you, and leaving it home on occasion will help the dog handle such necessary situations better. puppy

I think that you have every right to fight when a facility denies you keeping your dog... but just be aware that though the ADA is wonderful and you'll have it to back you, so will the hospital be able to use it to their benefit.

Karen Ann
[notify]
Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '06 9:57pm PST 
I would like to update everyone. I did talk to the owner of the company who apologized for his employees behavour and said he'd talk to all of them. He also sent me an email for free photo packages for both easter and next christmas. He included a letter to present to the manager of the photo booths that stated I could pick any package I wanted and include Lily in the picture. He was curious about what PSD do so I sent him a link that explains tasks that they might be taught to perform. I wonder if my sister's 3 kids (2-6yrs) would like to be in a picture with my adopted sister, the easter bunny, and Lily sitting in front. I'd probably help keep her youngest up there as she is pregnant with her fourth and will be pretty far along. I can try to squeeze in if they come with us.
[notify]

Tiny

Tiny- All Heart with a- Big Bark.

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '06 10:29am PST 
Your rights were clearly violated in said treatment. You should have requested Mall Management come to discuss the situation and state to them the full access rights of SD's. Remind them that denying full access was a violation that carried civil penalties.

You will always meet people who do not know or understand. The more info you can provide to educate them makes it easier the next time or for future SD's. You might also avoid the Mall's when it is really crowded. This stresses the SD considerably.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3