GO!

HELP! Someone was very very rude to us!

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Dodger Doodlenski

Are we gonna- learn something- new yet?

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 6:18am PST 
My dad decided to surprise mom with a trip to Peking Garden in the town we live in for supper last night(Thanksgiving). Mom brought me to go potty and he went in. He warned the lady that they had a SD with them and she said it was fine. When me and mom went in she said that I could NOT go in! Mom tried to explain that I'm a SD but they did want to hear it. She tried to explain that they had to let me in and they said "What can you do if we don't" When mom said she could sue them they said then you need to get your food to go. Well mom did very good under the circumstances and interrupted the lady who very rudely hollered to everyone in the resturant "Who wants to eat if they bring this dog in". Mom interrupted her and said "Ma'am if you would like to call the police I will gladly sign a complaint against you for discrimination." While someone was on the phone with the police the other guy working kept trying to say that they needed to either order something to go or leave. Mom just sat down and waited. Well they got told over the phone that even with other people and kids there they had to allow a SD in. They finally let mom and dad sit at a table but said I had to stay in the corner and if I was bothering anyone else then we would need to leave(not a problem for mom and dad as I am trained to lay under the table as close to a wall as possible). Mom and dad ate as quick as they could and asked for about 1/2 the food to get bagged to go. When the lady brought the check over she said, with a very rude undermining tone "After today I never want to see you people in here again." Did me or mom do something wrong? I stayed where I was supposed to and didn't bother anyone. Oh and my mom is taking me to the police station, somewhere called a court house and filing complaints at those two places and filing a complaint with the Justice Department. She is also thinking about writing to the editor of the local newspaper but is waiting to hear from the Justice Department first. Did we do something wrong though? All she wanted to do is eat Thanksgiving dinner with my dad and since it's just the two of them and us animal kids they don't bother with the whole turkey dinner bit.
[notify]
Nutmeg

Utter Little- Nutter!

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 6:43am PST 
That is so rude!

I can't believe that the lady had the nerve to say she never wanted you in there again! I'd go back just to spite her...you have every right!

People like that are just ignorant, insensitive and down right inhumane!

I'm so sorry that your Thanksgiving was interupted by that incident!
[notify]
Cloe Mae *RE-HOMED* I love you

Run, run, run

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 7:02am PST 
We are sick and tired of stupid, ignorant, cold and heartless humans! Mommy says she would write a letter to the paper, the news channels, the Better Business Bureau (she has written many letters that have gotten "rules" changed around like this...she doesn't put up with injustice) and anybody else...also, let them know that you are copying these other agencies on the letter.

As a side note, we've never, ever seen a SD causing trouble like running around with no guardianship and distrupting a place like kids! Oooh, this morning there have too many upsetting posts....now mommy is getting really angry at two leggers (except for daddy).
[notify]

Rosie- Moondog

I Love My- Shellies

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 7:33am PST 
Wow, you're brave. After all the crap they gave you I would have been afraid to eat there for fear of them spitting in your food or something. Your parents sure must be diplomatic. If it had been mine it would have been WWIII.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 8:32am PST 
Wow Dodger, I am so sorry you had to deal with that!

You did the right thing by making a fuss, but personally I don't know if I would have given them my business after they treated me so rude to begin with!

Unfortunately this type of thing happens pretty frequenty. Do you have any law cards? You can get some from the Delta society or you can make them up yourself. They basically summarize the law regarding SDs and can be helpful in situations like that. When I made Sabrina's ID I put that information on the back of the ID. I've never had to show it since I live in CA and it seems to be much more accepting of SDs than North Carolina (where I used to live), but I do think it might help in situations like that.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with mean people like that!
[notify]
Dodger Doodlenski

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 9:01am PST 
Sabrina, my mom gave them something she printed up from the ADA and told them they could use it for future refrence and as soon as he could the guy threw it in the trash can. Me and mom went to the police department this am and they said they can't do anything to help her because(according to them) the resturant people did not break any criminal laws. We also went to the district court house but they are closed untill Monday so mom told the nice security gaurd that was talking to her that we would go back then. He told her that I would not be allowed in anyways and she told him i'm a MASD and he said "That's different then you'd be all set." I liked him he didn't stress mom out more then she already is. I'm keeping a close eye on her because she is really really sad today for some reason but all I know is that it has nothing to do with last night. She said something really bad happened to her 4 years ago and she still feels like she is to blame for it. I wish I knew what happened but I wasn't even born yet.....i'm only 2 and a half years old. So i'm gonna do my best to cheer her up as much as I can today.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 10:25am PST 
Dodger, just keep on being there for your mom... It's hard at first getting used to the way people act towards us but eventually it won't bother her quite so much.

I can't believe the guy threw away the sheet from the ADA. I'm wondering if there's any local SD organization or animal shelter or anyplace that could help you do a little protest of the restaurant. Call up the news even!

In NC a few years ago a Greek restaurant refused entry to a guide dog. Eventually the owner contacted the news and that's what really started things rolling. There was lots and lots of bad press for that restaurant and the restaurant ended up I think giving a formal apology, getting a big fine and then having to post a "SD friendly" type sign on their door (well, they might have done that themselves after everything happened). Anyway, I never ate at that restaurant because of that incident and I'm sure you could get others not to eat at the restaurant you went to if you wanted to.

Good luck with whatever action you decide to take!
[notify]
Butch

Seriously,- scratch my butt!

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 11:16am PST 
First of all, I am so very sorry that you and your mommy were treated like that, and that your Thanksgiving was spoiled. My mommy has tears in her eyes for you.

Next, besides the legal issues you are undertaking, I would do my best to get some media attention out of this. Let people know how this crappy restaurant treats people.

Give your mommy a hug from me!

All my love, Butchie
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 11:36am PST 
Wow. It sounds like when that ignorant lady at the resturant heard the police back you guys up, she was worried about losing her job over it that she resorted to threatening you. I know, it's stupid, but some people will never back down and apologize even if they have a pistol aimed at their head. I'm sure all she had to do was to apologize and admit to you that she didn't know the difference between SDs and pets to make you feel better, but I guess some people lack even the tinest bit of regards for common courtesy. I'm sorry that you had to go through all that, and on Thanksgiving too!

A buncha big licks to you and your mommie for holding your head up, and maintaing your composure. It sure would've been so much uglier had you stooped down to her 'lowly' level and made a big commotion. I've always heard that some people are so downright "ugly" (their character I mean, and not their appearance) that they don'e even deserve the energy you spend when you get angry at them. I strongly suspect that this lady at the restaurant was one of them.
[notify]
Dodger Doodlenski

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '05 12:36pm PST 
Hi everyone. My mom wanted me to say Thank You for all the support. Now she is really really sad because her and dads finch just died in her hand :0( Dad almost yelled at me because he didn't see mom give me my hand signal to go to her and I got up to go to her but she told him that she called me and he said "ok i'm sorry Dodger." They always say sorry if they yell at me and then find out they are in the wrong. So I went over and gave mom lots and lots of kisses and made her laugh and she said "great now instead of being covered in tears my face is covered in doggie slobber." I don't care at least I made her smile that's all I care about.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7