GO!

Toe cancer

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Lexus

My Love is- Unconditional

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '14 4:23am PST 
Please, if anyone has any experience with toe cancer/amputations in dogs , I would love to hear any advice. Led has had two toes removed already and it's back. Scared and sad
[notify]
Simba Zulu ~- In Loving- Memory

Beach Baby

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '14 2:36pm PST 
I am devastated to hear that another beautiful Standard Poodle is cursed with this disease. I lost Simba 2 1/2 years ago. It all started with squamous cell carcinoma (toe cancer) about four years prior to his death. I don't want to add to your angst, but this cancer is very aggressive and stealthily sows its lethal seeds so silently that you don't know it's happening until it's too late, in most cases. Your baby just needs lots of extra love and attention, which I'm sure you are giving him/her. If there is anything specific you want to know about Simba's experience, please let me know. In fact, if I can help by just being a good listener and being here for you, don't hesitate to PM me.
[notify]
Lexus

My Love is- Unconditional

Barked: Sat Nov 22, '14 1:02am PST 
Thank you for responding. I'm so sorry about Simba. I thought no one had answered so I haven't been on Dogster. Lex had another toe removed and is now taking a light chemo dose by pill. He is doing very well right now and is running and playing and loving life. I am so grateful. He has lost three toes now and we are hoping the chemo will slow cell regeneration to prevent or at least delay any more occurrences. I pray for him every day. At l2, and with a little hip trouble, he doesn't need any more problems His spirit is unbelievable and I am trying to love every moment with him. Yes, I never knew about this cancer in large black dogs until he was diagnosed after losing nails. So sad. Simba's pics are awesome.
[notify]