GO!

Sabi is getting fat!

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 1:49am PST 
I know that's bad, but is it? She has no feeling left in either back foot and part of one leg. I won't let this go much further and she so loves to get treats. I try to keep her active but she stumbles badly now and it breaks my heart. I can't afford 60 bucks a day to swim for half an hour.
Is it worth it at this point to put her back on a diet? I'm really torn on this one. I get that fat is not healthy but she hates dieting. I just want her to be happy.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 3:50am PST 
Instead of dieting can you try to just keep her where she is? Maintain her current weight, you might have to cut back on the treats or find low cal treats for her, but it won't be as stressful as dieting. Good Luck
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 5:00am PST 
Sabi,
We have sort of the same issue with my mother( I know, a human not a dog) she is diabetic, has heart disease and is on dialysis 5 nights a week for 8 hours. She has no kidneys, one was removed due to cancer, the other malfunctioning and causing her to get sicker, she can no longer have new ports to continue dialysis because they have simply run out of viable sites and her current port leaks blood with every treatment. She also has a chronic ear infection and can not hear about 75% of the time and has lost most if not all of her vision. She also has osteoporosis and can break bones just standing up. We, the doctors, and the staff of the nursing home she is in made the decision to allow her to have whatever she wants. It really won't make that much difference in prognosis but it makes her happy to finally have what she has not been able to for years. I don't know how long it will take Sabi's problem to progress but there is a time when quality of life does come into play, if all you want is her happy during her last bit of time, then let her go and give her what she wants, or as Fritz said, use a compromise. Let her have a few treats but perhaps cut back a little on kibble or use treats she enjoys but are healthier. Good Luck.hughughughug
[notify]

Sabi

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 11:57am PST 
I guess the good news is she loves fruit and veggies.laugh out loudBlueberries are one of her favs along with carrots and celery. And she loves Mandarins.
Carnivore my butt, someone forgot to tell her that. I have been letting her pretty much do and have whatever she wants lately, so this is all on me. She has been on a diet since she was 3, because she has girl hips, but I just have a hard time now justifying it. Even if I got her back to working weight she has at best a few more months, so this is about me not her. Do I make her sad to give me more time is the question? That's totally selfish isn't it?
I won't let her get heavier and I keep her as active as possible.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 9:39pm PST 
Honestly....what she loves are things she can have...by the bucket full really !

That helps....

The equation...

More time.. less pleasure and fun
------------------------------------
Less time .. and a hellion of a party

For me...the latter would be my decision. Its as you have said... this is about your feelings on this.. not hers.

We all have to decide the path we take...there isnt a right or wrong answer.

Love the time you have..try not to justify it..just accept and enjoy. Celebrate.

hughughughughughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 1:48am PST 
Fritz, she is one of those that would eat until she exploded. When she was working she lived for that. When I retired her and started leaving her home, she transferred all her energy to eating. She doesn't do fetch(and couldn't now anyway), walking is difficult for her and she really isn't a playful dog.

M&K, I'm sorry about your motherhug but I think I agree with you.
Sabs is already beating the odds, it's been two years at least since she started showing symptoms. Always my warrior.

Flicka, perspective. I need to get some. She isn't here for much longer, and I can't change that. I can't fix this.

It's just that she really is my soul, she owns all of my memories and knows every secret. And I am horribly afraid that when the time comes I will find that I really can't live without her.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 6:33am PST 
Maybe you can give her smaller pieces of the treats? She's still getting them but with less calories. When Kali first started gaining weight, I was so happy that I didn't pay any attention to her weight until I took her for a regular check up and the vet pointed out that she was over weight, 117 pounds. shock red face I reluctantly put her on a diet, but I occasionally sneak her extra food as a treat.
[notify]
Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 3:59pm PST 
when the end is in sight,love and happiness are the most important. a few extra pounds(not alot, but a few) wont really make that much diffrence will it?

enjoy every day, and dont sweat the little s#it.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 8:53pm PST 
It sounds like you already know the answer that is right for you. You want Sabs to enjoy everyday that she has left. The only problem is you are not yet ready to let go. I completely understand that feeling and have been through it myself as you know. I think the thing you need to keep in mind is none of us knows what tomorrow may bring. As Flika said, Celebrate!! each and every day you have left together, then when it is time for Sabi to cross the bridge, you will know that she lived life to the fullest and enjoyed her last days completely with you. Given that her problem involves nerve function a few extra pounds will not make that much difference, especially at this point.
I truly do know how afraid you are of not having Sabi at your side, but you can and will go on because that is what she would want and expect you to do. You know that even when she is no longer physically with you, she will not have left you. Shadow and Buddy will need you still and look at how much Shadow has bloomed with you, that would not have happened with someone else.
You also have so many here who will help you to cope when that time comes.
It will be difficult but you will go on and it gets better in time, but let's worry about that when the time comes. For now concentrate on the joy and happiness the two of you will have together and how much she will enjoy all those previously forbidden things. Make each day a party, have as much fun as you can together and enjoy it all with no guilt or regrets. My mother isn't up for visitors often but when she is it always makes her day a little brighter when we bring lunch from Mc Donalds, or a candy bar or whatever she happens to be in the mood for at the time. I wish we had the chance to make her that happy every day. With Sabi, you do.hughughughughughug p-mail me anytime.
Pam
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 9:30pm PST 
And I will add to M&K saying..if you need.. anytime... contact me.

Cleo was to me as Sabi is to you. I had just 24hrs of knowing she was ill(she showed NOTHING till 12 hours before)to her going to the Bridge with me telling her she was the most beautiful girl in the world.

Somehow... some way.. you do go on. Maybe because others are brought to you by your Heartsong... and they NEED you. You never EVER forget...but each time you pay if forward.. each time you give of your soul..because they are our Odyssey.. our way along the rocky path.

Have a party.... keep that party going.... its going to end... but YOUR memories... YOUR joy in THEM... doesnt.

Tonight was the Candle Lighting (its in Cleo and Flicka and Lucas's diary) Tonight she came back.. in her own way...They never leave us... Sabi will never leave you... because as long as she is remembered.. she lives and breathes.

Love and Hugssssssss

Flicka ∆,,∆ & Lucas /..| Cleo (I.M.) ∆,,∆ & Pam X
[notify]