GO!

This Portland woman wants to put her old dog down herself. Please advise.

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Boo Radley- Hand

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 8:24pm PST 
http://www.mandajuice.com/

"...The last time I got home from Joel's it took me over an hour to clean up after him. I then had to leave to pick up the kids and by the time I returned, the floor was already destroyed again. He flinches when I pet him because he doesn't know it's coming.

I can't do it anymore. I don't think it's fair to either of us.

The dilemma is that I need to put him down myself. I can't take him to the vet. He's so old and disoriented that I think the drive alone would give him a heart attack. He's TERRIFIED of vets and animal hospitals. Always has been (ever since the hundred stitches he got from his last encounter with a bigger dog).

I know I can have someone come out to the house to help, but even that is a last resort (see also: stranger danger!). I basically want my sweet, old dog to take his final nap on my lap and drift peacefully into his next life. I wish I knew a way to make that happen for him."
[notify]
Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 10:27pm PST 
The only advise i can give is this person needs to have a vet come to the home. I don't think you're allowed to euthanize an animal yourself. But i could be wrong about that. The only way I know of putting dogs down at home usually involves a rather torn up dog and a barrel of a gun. And that was an extreme case of being in the backwoods with an uncle of mine who's dog was pretty torn up.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 3:42am PST 
I agree, I don't think there is another option...

We had our vet come to te house to put Rocky to sleep... Rocky also hated the vets but in his own home and with us around, he quietly sat and let the vet shave his leg, something Rocky would always kick up a fuss about... He was ready to go and didn't struggle at all. Rocky fell asleep with his head on my lap and was completely at peace...

I think that's the kindest and most peaceful way for a vet-nervous dog... I also don't think it's right to put your own dog to sleep. What if, for example, something went wrong and you had no one, qualified enough, to help... It could turn out very stressful for both owner and the poor dog...

She needs to get in touch with a vet and talk to them about her options... It's a heart breaking time and you do not want your dog to suffer in it's last moments.
[notify]

Isaac

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 4:29am PST 
Wow. I would be so scared something would go wrong and my dog would suffer. I would have a vet come to the house.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 5:49am PST 
I think a vet coming to the house would be best. Unless you have appropriate syringes/drugs/knowledge it would be very difficult. Too much can go wrong and the appropriate drugs for a peaceful death are difficult and oftentimes illegal to procure. No vet is going to sell you somulose and the barbiturates or opiates are going to have to come from your local friendly drug dealer. Just ... no way.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 6:37am PST 
There are mobile vets as well as regular vets who will come to the house to humanely euthanize. That is what my parents did with their last collie, and he was able to pass very peacefully in his own home.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 2:51pm PST 
Get a vet, even a shelter worker to come to the house, you can't do it yourself really...no.
[notify]
Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 4:22pm PST 
Unfortunately there's no good, legal way to do what she wants.

If the issue with having a vet come to the house is that the dog panics around strangers, I would ask for an oral tranquilizer to give prior to the vet's arrival.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 5:12pm PST 
Some vets will still come out to the house and do it. Have you asked any vets?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 10:20pm PST 
If this is Portland, OR there is no shortage of in-home euthanasia services via mobile vets and vets that will make house calls.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2