GO!

Prevnting joint problems...

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 10:31pm PST 
Hey all

Chewy just turned 8 on the 7th. He's nice and healthy and hasn't had any older dog problems yet, other than some small fatty lumps on his side that haven't grown at all and he's had them for almost a year.

He's a bigger dog, 109.8 pounds as of Friday. I'm starting to worry about things like joint/hip problems. I haven't noticed any signs of him having problems, other than a tiny bit of stiffness after getting up after laying down a really long time. This has only happened a couple times.

Are there steps I can take to try to prevent or at least reduce joint problems? Do you think it would be better for him to drop a couple pounds to put less stress on the joints? I think he's at an ideal weight, maybe the slightest bit chunkier. I can feel his ribs, and he has the hour glass shape going for him.

Any tips/advice is appreciated

thank you
[notify]

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 5:46am PST 
There are many supplements available that are for hip/joint problems. http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2767163
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 6:06am PST 
I would definately recommend some fish oil for Omega3's,vitamin E because the fish oil can reduce absorption of it,and some Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM to reduce risk of joint damage and help repair any that might exist and a little extra exercise to take off any excess weight and keep the joints moving certainly can't hurt. Hope this helps. I started all of mine on this routine as puppies but it is never too late.
wishes
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 11:34pm PST 
Although this post is somewhat on topic it is actually an advertisement for a product the poster is selling,thus free advertising for their business.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 8:24am PST 
no advertising

Sabi has arthititis and HD. She also we now suspect has DM. She has been on Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM most of her life as well as Salmon Oil more recently. If she hadn't been I have serious doubts she would still be walking. As it is she is too bouncy. I need to supervise and make sure she maintains some decorum laugh out loud She will be 11 in January. And she worked until she was 9.
I strongly recommend you speak to your regular vet about joint supplements and maintain regular exercise.
[notify]
♥CHLO- E♥

Chloe's got Mom- wrapped around- her paws

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 6:05pm PST 
Chloe is on Dasaquin with MSM per her vet - it is for healthy joint/arthritis.

I hope this helps.... I have her on 1/2 tab 2x a day.hughughughughug
[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 11:12am PST 
Thank you for all the responses, I'm going to make our daily walks a little longer. He looks slim, but I think shedding a pound or two will be better for him.

I've been looking into supplements for him, and get a vet visit scheduled whenever we can. Moe just got neutered, and had to have cryptorchid surgery, so that was really expensive. Snoopy has also been sick with some kind of infection, but he's getting better. So we've spent a lot of money at the vet....
[notify]
Star

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 5:50pm PST 
I tryed the greenies for joint care for my old boy i lost a year ago. They really seemed to help him get around and he was a bit more active. I really think they helped him out alot.
[notify]