GO!

Arthritis and loosing weight.

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 7:37pm PST 
Hi! Our dog Harley will be 9 years old in 2 weeks. She is a bullmastiif/ Rotti mix. She has arthritis throughout her body. She lost 14 lbs in the last 4 months. She had blood test done and the vet said she is healthy. I was wondering if this is a sign of her time to go soon? She seems very happy and loves her butt scratched. If we scratch her butt to hard she will start to fall over, her back legs are very week and she has been limping on her front leg. I feel bad for her. She is taking rimadyl to help with the arthritis. I just wanted some input on what to expect. I think I am worried about Harley because our dog Hailey passed away 1 day after her 9th birthday.
Thank you for your time and input. wink
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 6:58am PST 
Im going to be honest it what I have seen in my experience. Sometimes dogs that loose alot of weight may have cancer. But if she is acting ok, other then the weight loss the best thing you can do is be there for her, do the things she loves most. Eventually there comes a time when we have to loose our best friends. They can't live forever! =(
I always say I don't understand why a macaw lives 100 yrs and a dog only lives 10 or more. If I could freeze time I would just so I could never loose my buddies. Keep her comfortable and lots of treats! Im sorry
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 3:36pm PST 
Rascal, thank you so much for your honesty. I wish more people were like you. This is exactly what I was thinking. I will have to call the vet to see if he checked her blood cells when he took her blood test. Harley is very happy she had my husband and I rubbing and scratching her butt (a dogs favorite thing) She loves to play fetch in the ocean, I will have to take her to the beach real soon. Last time I took her, her rear end gave out a couple of times, so I took her home and washed off all the sand and then gave her some doggie ice cream. I spoil her rotten. Again, thank you for your honesty. I hope you have a great day. smile
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 7:08pm PST 
Sabi wobbles too. But she is full of life and raring to go. Sometimes she falls down when we are out but she tries to make it look like she just sat down for a minute. I let her pretend. I don't like it when people sugar coat things for me so I won't do it to you. Loosing a lot of weight quickly is probably not a good sign, but it may just be an aging body trying to cope. Don't waste a second on pity or what ifs. Get all the answers you can but remember that our time with them is destined to be short. You may need to look at changing her diet or adding supplements but it sounds like she has a lot of life yet. Enjoy it.
[notify]
Zoey

oops theres a- wall there!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 8:03pm PST 
We are going through the same thing with our old gal, she came to us as a stray with a white face(from age) so from the get go we knew she was really old, and she was emaciated. Honestly we didn't expect her to live long at all (arthritis and tumors) but she gained weight back, and she's been with us for 1 year and 3 months! She's a heavy sleeper and sleeps most of the day, I usually sit in the morning and make sure she's breathing. But it doesnt make us love her any less. All we can do is give them the best time they can have here while they're here. And when the day comes frown may it be peaceful.....
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 11:46am PST 
Sabi & Zoey, thank you both for your words. I try not to pity her. I love her to death and just want her to be happy. I do not believe in letting a dog suffer for myself. I know it is very hard to let them go. I have had to put 2 dogs and 2 cats down in my adult life. I know that they all will be together in puppy heaven with no pain or worries. I want to take her to the beach to swim, but it's a long walk on the sand frown and I worry that it would be to hard on her.. Again thank you all for your honesty. I hope that you all have a great day smile
[notify]