GO!

Upset with a friend, not sure where to put this

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 3:46am PST 
I wouldn't be friends with the person you describe. Who needs a friend like that? Judge all you want, what she did was stupid and heartless. naughty
[notify]
Carbon

I'll just take a- nap until you- pet me.

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:48am PST 
I agree, your friend should not get another dog if she isn't willing to be responsible and assume all the medical expenses. You make a commitment when you adopt or purchase and animal to care for its needs. They're like kids, they get sick and need help, my boy Carbon ran me about $2000 in vet bills for chronic ear infections, turns out he has allergies. The amount of money I spent on Otomax in the first month could have fed him steak for a year! It disheartens me that she didn't have her dog spayed, even without the risk of pyometra. I have lost friends over different dog ownership standards but I have a big mouth when it comes to health and wellness of pets lol.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 9:07am PST 
This is months past the original post but I had to add my two cents. Many people do not regard their dog as "part of the family" and we just have to accept that fact. I've heard of people putting down their dogs because it was "inconvenient" to keep them! What I don't understand is your friend wanting another dog! If she can't afford the care she shouldn't be a dog owner. Maybe you can somehow convince her that she should not get another dog.
[notify]

Tundra

I'm growling- bigger now

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 12:35pm PST 
At the end of October or the first of November we shelled out $199.50 for Maggie's cremation. Then earlier this month we shelled out $102.00 for a friends dog's spay surgery. Last week we took another of his dogs in for stitches and that cost us $62.00. Thats not to mention the $194.70 that we spent over the summer for Tundra's emergency trip to the vet for something that we still have no clue on. She was fine at 3 am that morning and at 9 she was nearly dead. We rushed her in they gave her a 10/50 chance of living trough the day. They did blood work and put an iv in and still couldnt tell us what was wrong but when I called them the next day she was ready to come home alive and playful.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 5:03pm PST 
I agree, that people like that shouldn't have dogs, I understand financial problems but it sounds like she never really made decisions in the best interest of the dog's health. Adopting a mixed breed from a rescue isn't a guarantee of a "low cost dog" either. After doing a lot of research, I paid $350 to adopt a dog from a "non-profit" shelter because I thought they were doing a lot to save and care for dogs. Turns out I picked the pregnant dog! And she got pregnant at the shelter! The shelter did nothing to help until the puppies were born, and then they wanted them back (so they could sell them!). I found homes for all 10 pups myself, used up most of my vacation to care for the brood, and spent several thousand dollars to do so. Turns out my mama dog was also heartworm positive. But, I wouldn't have been able to do anything else, they are wonderful and healthy now! I don't think I'd keep a friend like that. frown
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 7:53pm PST 
Wow. I would have gone with the 500 instead and have the intern work on the dog. It doesn't matter if the intern hasn't operated on a hysterectomy before but someone (an expert) will be looking over the surgery anyway, so it would be fine.

I personally think your friend shouldn't be getting another dog too because she seems to afraid to cough out some money. Having a dog is similar to having a kid, you have to spend a little.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3