GO!

Am I wrong?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 7:11am PST 
Sabi is still just as spunky and happy as ever but she is getting weaker by the day. She stumbles and loses her balance much more frequently. She tires really quickly and she sleeps like she's dead. Her appetite is great, too good really, and her tail definitely still workslaugh out loud
I always knew her back end was going to be the deciding factor.
But yesterday we were out for a stroll and she got to bouncing a bit and lost her balance. She just kind of sits down when it happens and then pretends she did it on purpose and looks around for a minute before getting up and carrying on.
Anyway, this woman freaks out on me telling me how cruel and selfish I am and how people like me make her sick and should be reported. She said I needed to have Sabi PTS because what I was doing was terrible and I was forcing "that animal" to suffer for the sake of my hurt feelings.
I laid into her and told her she needed to shut her yap and mind her own business, that she knew nothing about me or my dog and if she was so concerned about other peoples animals she should stop scarfing timbits(we were by Tim Hortons)and go volunteer at a shelter.
OK so I was a bit out of line maybe. Sabi was kind of giving me the cocked eyebrow look (Really Mom?)
When I look at Sabs I see a happy old dog who, admittedly, needs some help now but is not in any pain or discomfort other then the infrequent flare ups that are easily handled. She plays, she enjoys her life and her food and she seems happy and content if a bit bored with retirement.
Am I way off base? Am I not seeing this right?
[notify]
Jazz

Surf's up, let's- go to the beach!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 8:38am PST 
Good for you! Imagine if we put senior people down as soon as they stumbled, or got confused. It sounds like Sabi has plenty of life left.
[notify]
Nukka

Nukka- Play with me!!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 9:26am PST 
Sabi, I agree with you 100%. She isn't in any pain, her quality of life is still good, her appetite is good. She is still a happy dog, albeit a happy OLD dog. You will know when it is too much for her.

I have a cat that is OLD... she was a stray, and she adopted us over 17 years ago... According to this woman, I should have her PTS too... even though she is still running, jumping, eating well... although she is senile...
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 10:05am PST 
Dont worry about stupid people Sabi. Everyone looks at Kashmir's back end and say well she isnt going to be around much longer. My mom notices she has trouble getting up the stairs at night and has trouble walking long distances and sitting the right way, she only sits lazy on one hip because she cant sit the right way anymore. She is going to be 6 this November and i am in no hurry to end her life because she has trouble getting up the stairs and every once in awhile she also has trouble getting up from laying down. If Sabi stumbles on occasion and is still spunky and wagging her tail then she isnt ready to go yet hug
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 11:11am PST 
With you all the way !!!!!!!!!

You are around many dogs.. you know and see much.... I KNOW we can all be a little blind when it comes to our own... but your are absolutely on base with Sabi.

You will know... when that time comes... and because you care and love her... you will give her that final gift of love.

Till then.... ignore the dumbo's... you cant mend "stoopid" sometimes...

Thankyou for all you do.... and go on Celebrating Life with Sabi.

hughughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 12:01pm PST 
Sabi seems like she has a lot of life left in her. Never mind what other people say. Only you yourself know your own dog best. smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 6:12pm PST 
"I have a cat that is OLD... she was a stray, and she adopted us over 17 years ago... According to this woman, I should have her PTS too... even though she is still running, jumping, eating well... although she is senile..."

Same here...ours is a bag of skin and bones and at least 18 that we know of, worse is that she is feral, too. BUT, she is eating, happy and gets plenty of mice still. Unfortunately, when she is hungry she comes over to the kennel and stands in front of the door, meowing. She WILL NOT come in and can't be touched so, what to do??? I am so sick of people telling me to put her to sleep... they need the help, NOT US, Sabi!!!
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 6:16pm PST 
I think you were right. If Sabi is not in constant pain and she seems to be happy and she still has fun, then I think your doing the right thing. Some people are so miserable that you can hand them one million dollars in cash and they would still have something to complain about. I'm glad you stood up to her. From what you describe, she deserved it. applauseapplauseapplauseSabi will let you know when it's time. Hopefully, that won't be for a while. smile
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 7:39pm PST 
Thanks Guys!

I thought I was doing ok with Sabs but this woman just went right nuts at me. And after I was done yelling I started wondering if maybe I was just being blind. I guess I just needed someone to back me up, and once again Dogsters to the rescue.
Sabi has lost a bit of weight recently but I doubt she will regain her girlish figure, and yesterday she was playing mean dog at me and I gotta tell ya, even at her age if I didn't know her I wouldn't mess with her.

Kashmir the vet thought Sabi would be done at 5, she turns 11 in January.
I love old cats, they are so 'whatever'(insert tail flick).
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 2:09am PST 
Hi Sabi:
I wish I was there when you made the Timbits comment - what a great comeback. http://www.dogster.com/forums/post.php# You know your dog better than anyone and she will certainly let you know when she has had enough. If you do not have her on Glucosamine, please, please do. It does work wonders for the joints. I have been using it for decades on my GSD's. I had a GSD that I was competing with in Schutzhund 25 yrs ago. In a training seminar she was used in a demonstration for protection. They tried to make her miss the sleeve (she used to fly through the air before she hit the sleeve) but she twisted to get the sleeve, hit hard and ruptured her back disk). Long story short, the Glucosamine helped her live a long and happy life with no surgery.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4