GO!

Some advice and ideas for dogs with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Penny, I- Miss You- Sooo Much

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 4:56pm PST 
My MinPin is going on 14 yrs old. She has started showing symptoms - active at night, increase sleep during day; confusion upon waking; wandering into rooms, staring into corners; bathroom changes; crankiness; etc.
What tips does anyone have to make this stage of life easier for her? She has always been extremely bonded to me and sometimes when she is lost, looking but not finding me or being anxious & pacing, it is heartbreaking.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 5:12pm PST 
There is a drug for that. It doesn't help with all dogs but when it works, it is a miracle drug!!! Sadly, I cannot remember the name of it, hopefully someone who does will pop in.
Maybe you could do a google search for it???

I just looked it up, it's called Anipryl.

Edited by author Sun Apr 22, '12 5:16pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 7:10pm PST 
Have you tried Neutricks yet? www.neutricks.com
[notify]

(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 5:26am PST 
i invited you in my group for senior dogs..the old woof club...
there we have all the info you need about that topic...
we have special group threads only about canine dementia and even what meds are available
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 8:10am PST 
Thank you. I'll ask my question there.---- Won't let me post a question.

I talked to my vet about meds. She said she hasn't seen any significant results in the dogs that have taken it and there are unpleasant side effects. My dog is already on meds for thyroid and anxiety and I hate to add more to it. But I am going to talk to her about maybe trading the clonicalm for the CCD med to see what happens. She just started a special diet.

Edited by author Mon Apr 23, '12 8:19am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 8:41pm PST 
Honestly... Maya hit that stage by the time I let her go, it was starting and you'd see signs here and there, things she'd do, or forget even, accidents in the house, etc. I just made life a routine schedule for her, kept everything at specific times, kept life stress-free, and kept her as physically comfortable as possible, while giving her space when she seemed to require it.

It broke my heart to see it, and it wasn't until she started to become physically uncomfortable that I finally let her go(she was only eight years old), but mentally, I made her as comfortable as possible through the reduction of stress and the consistency of routine. It seemed to relax her more, as she was a very anxiety prone dog, who would scare easy.
[notify]
Tucker

Earned my wings- Jan. 22nd

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 6:44pm PST 
Tuck is 13, and his sleep/wake cycles seem to benefit from Cholodin, a natural supplement for dementia. He also seems a bit perkier.
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 9:56pm PST 
My dearly departed Duncan had issues with dementia that began when he was about 14 and became more pronounced over time. There were 'accidents' in the house, and some confusion although it was hard to tell how much of it was caused simply by the concurrent decline in his hearing and vision. Later he became fully incontinent and more in a "fog" mentally.

All the above was sad, but a natural part of his aging. However, then he went into another stage that was really uncomfortable. He was often agitated, pacing, obsessively sniffing at seemingly nothing. At this point I consulted with my vets about interventions. We started Duncan on a drug called Selegeline that is also used in human Alzheimers patients. The vets cautioned before we started the therapy that it had NO effect on about half the patients that tried it.

The Selegeline - for Duncan - worked wonders and I was so relieved that he seemed to regain his peace. He was still quite foggy, but not agitated and anxious.

But, after a while, either the effectiveness of the drug wore off, or his aging advanced beyond what the drug could stave off. The agitation never returned per se, but other mental symptoms worsened.

Still, I'm glad that we took advantage of the Selegeline as it did provide clear benefits for a time, and gave Duncan a better quality of life for that period.
Taylor

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 10:38am PST 
We dealt with this with Taylor before he passed away. Canine Cognitive Dysfunction is so hard to deal with and watch. The main things I can say helped were keeping the same routine, not moving furniture or doing anything different, for accidents we took Taylor out every 2 hours and that helped a lot. Taylor was almost completely blind so we always made sure that he had a light on because he got upset and scared if there wasn't one.

Near the end I really couldn't leave the house very often because if I wasn't in his sight he would cry and get very upset. We tried Anipryl but it didn't seem to help much, you could always try it and see if it helps. I think the best thing you can do for Penny is just to love her, because that's really all you can do at this point. I know how heartbreaking it is to watch them get lost or upset, but just spend time with penny I spent a lot of time just sitting and petting or brushing Taylor because it really honestly helped him just being there. Good luck I hope this helps a little bit.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:16pm PST 
Penny is having potty problems in the new setting of my mom's house but not in her familiar setting at home. At my mom's we have decided to try taking her out every two hours on a leash, like we do at home, just to replicate it.
She is getting anxious a lot when we are anywhere away from the apartment and her routine. She follows me. But I have found when I spray essential lavender oil on her blanket at bedtime she sleeps through the night. That's been nice.
[notify]