GO!

What should I do with my aggressive older dog?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 9:14am PST 
Sabi, rehome again at 11? That's crazy. It sounds like there isn't much the OP can do with the dog given the fact that she got him when he was already 9. I mean, if he was 5, then there would be some hope, but he's not. Foxy is right, if the dog is that reactive, then just tell other people not to come near it. The OP didn't say the dog was biting anybody, and I'm pretty sure it won't if they respect its space.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 9:28am PST 
Foxxy and Sabi-applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
I don't care if a dog is 2 pounds,20 pounds,or 200 pounds. The rules are the same. Old dogs can learn to behave differently and many people who have taken in seniors and fostered them have proven it. The difference is they did not try one approach for a short time,not get results and give up,they continued to work as hard as they needed using many different methods,until they found something that worked and continued to work at it until the problem was resolved. As both Foxy and Sabi have saqid training is life long,my Akitas are 3 and 5,still young but started learning from day one in my home and will continue to review and reinforce training right to the last. Training can be difficult,time consuming and frustrating at times.that doesn't mean you don't do it,but I agree with Sabi if you are not able or willing to put in the time effort and energy to train this dog,perhaps another home with someone who is willing and comitted would be a better solution for both of you.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 1:13pm PST 
M&K, would it even work anymore? I mean, isn't it a bit too late? This dog is almost 80 in human years and the OP took him in when he was already 9 years old, not 2 or 3 like Bruce and Tank.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 4:36pm PST 
Yoshi crazy is letting a 5 lb dog run your life. Lots of dogs are rehomed as seniors. As Foxxy pointed out this dog could reasonably live to 15 or older. Why not give him a shot at enjoying it? I think its crazy that people watch dog training shows and then expect to solve a lifelong problem in 30 minutes. I think its crazy that people carry dogs with 4 perfectly good legs. I think its crazy that a small dog is allowed to bite, its cute when they're mad. I think all kinds of things are crazy, retraining a dog is not one of them. Neither is rehoming when you can't or won't provide what an animal needs.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 7:07pm PST 
Sabi is right. There have been many people right here on Dogster who have taken in large breed seniors at the age of 10 and managed to change their behavior by taking the time to work with them. When you consider lifespan a ten or 11 year old Chi or other small breed with a 15+ year lifespan is comperable to a large breed of around the age of 4-6. If this dog lives to be twenty which is entirely possible given their typical lifespan,then that is middle age,not elderly. Take a large breed like a Great Dane with a typical lifespan of 8-10 years and 4-5 is middle aged. There was someone here on Dogster just last year who took in an elderly Great Dane of around 10,which for the breed is quite old and asked for help in naming,training and dealing with senior problems. I see no excuse other than it being too time consuming or difficult for the current owner to want to deal with so,another home with someone dedicated to dealing with training and helping solve issues is preferable to allowing the dog to control the current owners life and be such an inconvenience to them. I agree with Sabi on this one.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 6:43pm PST 
I agree with those who have mentioned training & how it is a lifelong venture. Yoshi..sorry, but he IS dangerous, & he CAN do damage..even though he is small. Plus it is never too late to learn. By your analogy my 80 year old mother could not learn to use the internet or even a computer? shrug Don't tell her that!laugh out loud
OP..you've been given good advice...including the rehoming option. Look inside yourself & honestly decide if you can commit to this. No one will judge you if you choose to rehome him.hug
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2