GO!

Okay... so well my first dog ever is getting into the "Senior Stage" ...

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Cassy

Love water, hate- baths!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 11:03pm PST 
We've had Cassy since she was only about 5 weeks old. She is the first dog that I have ever had [she is my father's dog rather than mine...], yes I will admit... I'm just a teenager. She is 10 now, and even though I hate admitting it, she is getting to be a senior citizen... Cassy & I have never had ultra close bonds, my bonding has been of course with my boys that I raised & trained by myself, but there is, as with all dogs, that irreplaceableness... For Cassy it's because she is the first dog in my family since I can remember.

Yes I know it's still not for a few more years that I will have to REALLY worry about when her tail wags its last, when her food bowl doesn't empty in .2 minutes, and when the squeaky toy doesn't excite her anymore... But it is still just so dang hard thinking about it!

I guess all I'm asking is support from all you great Dogsters. Thank you for listening to my bawling babbel...

puppy
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 12:21am PST 
Hi smile

Just because a dog is entering it's senior years it isn't a death sentence. Yeah she's getting older and up there in years but that's part of life. Dogs live in the now and don't worry about the future, and I think that's the way every dog owner should be.

Enjoy right now. Just because she's 10 that doesn't mean that she's going to get cancer or is going to get some disease that cannot be cured. A lot of dogs age well and live well into their teen years. Heck you might even have 9 or 10 more years left with her and you're here worrying about when "that time" comes.

Just love your dog and live life to the fullest and you will not have any regrets.
[notify]
Cassy

Love water, hate- baths!

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 4:41pm PST 
Thank you very very much. I know it's a fact that cannot be changed that a dog will cross that road eventually.... but I definitely know way better than to ever tell Cassy that she's 'over the hill'
I will be sure to give her extra lovies, making her feel as happy as she can. : ) thanks!
[notify]

♥CHLO- E♥

Chloe's got Mom- wrapped around- her paws

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 6:09pm PST 
My Chloe is my blessing - we got her from North Shore Animal League at 6 weeks old - she will be 15 God willing in 2 weeks - check out her video to see my sweet girl "still" diggingdancingdancingdancing
[notify]
Cassy

Love water, hate- baths!

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 10:11pm PST 
She's an adorable girl! She looks so wonderfully happy & healthy too. : )

When Cassy was younger, I absolutely dreaded the day that she would become a 'senior'... but now, I find it kinda fun to have a senior citizen. She is really nice to have as a 'break' from the lunk-head Otto [But he's only a 1yr old pit... so I'll give him a break there], and almost every big-breed older dog I have met is an absolute sweetiepie, excusing how they act around the young irritating dogs of course. smile
[notify]
Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 5:12am PST 
We adopted Feather at age 10 years from the shelter.....6 years ago!! We have had nothing but great times with our seniors here. There is a lot of living left to do at age 10, don't worry. Even some new tricks to learn!!

Sure Feather is getting slower and slower, but that just gives us more snuggle time!!!
[notify]