GO!

Heavy Sleeper !

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Sasha

Love Dog

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 5:40pm PST 
Sasha is a 13 year old border collie mix . She is deaf and has arthritis .The last couple days now she has gotten really hard to wake up we actually batted her paws and shook her and rubbed her back and shook her bed it took a couple minutes to get her to wake up . I'm worried about her is this a normal part of aging ( some websites say it is )

Edited by author Wed Feb 22, '12 5:47pm PST

[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:57pm PST 
That would be scary to me. I would take her to the vet to be checked out, just in case there's something going on. Good Luck!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 8:28pm PST 
That would scare the crap out of me! I know Sabs sleeps a bit more soundly but a the first touch of my hand she responds. I would talk to your vet.
[notify]

Sasha

Love Dog

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 6:45am PST 
She's due for her senior health exam , So i"m gonna ask the vet about it when I take her in. And yes it did scare the crap out of us !Some of the web sites I looked up said it happens with def dogs that they just tend to sleep heavier , but they also says if u stomp on the ground they should wake up . Thats why I thought it was wierd .
[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 11:11am PST 
Wow...that is scary! Let us know what you find out at the vet check.hug
[notify]
♥CHLO- E♥

Chloe's got Mom- wrapped around- her paws

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 10:51am PST 
hughughughughug
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 3:10am PST 
Get to a vet! Best of luck. I hope all is well.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat Mar 3, '12 3:43pm PST 
That is a heavy sleeper. I know my friend's 16yo lab was a heavy sleeper. I'd watch her, and me opening a loud garage door, unlocking a door with clanging keys, opening a squeaky door, slamming said door shut, walking around on hard wood floors right up to her and calling her name/whistling would not be enough to wake her. She would wake to touch though.

Sanka is also a heavy sleeper. I can easily walk right up to him and around him and go through doors without him waking. One time, I wanted him to wake up, but thought it'd be fun to try it in a different way. I held a slab of bacon in front of his nose, but he didn't wake. So I started bopping his nose gently with the bacon...still no go. Even laid the bacon on his mouth...nothing. After those moments, I look at his chest to make sure he's still breathing because sometimes, you really wonder. I eventually just woke him up with a good rub down.
[notify]
Buffy

Barked: Sat Mar 3, '12 6:22pm PST 
Buffy is going deaf and arthritic as well. And she SLEEPS. The vet said she was fine aside from the aforementioned things...shes just a heavy, heavy sleeper. And she snores. But at 12, I figure shes earned it. I usually just let her wake up on her own so as not to startle her. If I have to wake her I bring her treats by her nose - that typically does it. Hope all is well!hug
[notify]
Sasha

Love Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 4:17pm PST 
Sanka the bacon thing is hillarious ! I'm gonna have to try that . I did bring her to the vet they did a whole senior workup. they said everything is fine . She does have a small cateract though . I guess now there's two off us that could sleep through an earthquake.
[notify]