GO!

Groggy Siberian Husky

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Happy

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 3:41pm PST 
I have a 12 year old Siberian Husky named Happy, health wise the vet says she has the vitals of a 10 year old. We usually do a 2 mile run in the morning with a 1 mile cool down before I head out. I work near my home so I usually get home around noon to 2 for a 20 min walk, then another walk at 6-6:30PM when I get home and then another 1 mile run with a 1 mile cool down around 10PM.

She's never had any coordination issues or been slow on walks and runs, she's usually quick on her feet sniffing everything. I just got her home from her 6 PM walk and she was stumbling over everything and just seemed like she couldn't concentrate on anything. When we got home she was tripping over my rugs, shoes, and her eyes just seem tired.

I just called my vet and left a message, hopefully nothings wrong but she just doesnt seem like her usual self. I understand she's12 and I've definitely scaled back her exercise routine but have never seen her like this.

Anyone else experienced this before with a older dog?
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 8:13am PST 
well it seems to to it's neurological...maybe it's a good thing the vet looks at happy
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 3:01pm PST 
I wonder if her eyesight is starting to go. Is she still eating and drinking properly?
[notify]

Clementine

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 4:03am PST 
Update on Happy please. The physical actions you described are concerning and hopefully the vet advised you to bring Happy in to be checked. Did you check color of gums? Lack of balance, coordination, confusion, groggy, lethargic should result in prompt vet visit.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 3:00pm PST 
Honestly that just sounds like way too much exercise for a husky of that age. My friend's senior husky could never keep up with that pace. Perhaps it finally began to affect her? Scaling back on the exercise sounds like a good plan.
[notify]
Friend- Atwater

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 1:23pm PST 
I'd suggest you ask the vet to check her electrolyte levels. Like atheletes use Gatoraide,, too much excercise can reduce potassium levels to the point of disorientation and lack of muscle movement.
[notify]