GO!

Older dogs slip on tiles, lno and wood floors

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Simba Zulu ~- In Loving- Memory

Beach Baby

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 10:44am PST 
I just thought I'd pass this little tip along that I learned while showing dogs years ago. There's a product that bank tellers and accounting firms use to count money called 'Tacky Fingers' or 'Sortkwik'. If you rub this one your senior doggie's pads while he's resting and let it dry for a few minutes, he will have a much better grip on hard surfaces. We used to use this so our dogs wouldn't slip in the show ring. It may sound kind of silly, but it sure works. Here's a link to the product at Office Depot: http://www.officedepot.ca/Moisteners/LEE-Sortkwik-Hygienic-Fingertip -Moistener-10050.asp

Oh, and if you have a white-coated dog who tends to have those ugly tear-stains, crush up a half a Tums to put in his food once a day. As the dog sheds the tear-stained hair, white hair will grow in and there will be no more tear stains if you keep it up. You will also be adding much-needed calcium to his diet.

I used both of these methods for my older Standard Poodles and my Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. I hope some of you can use the tips!

(Just my way of giving back to the wonderful people who have helped me so much on this site.)
[notify]
Daisy - In Loving- Memory

Sweet As Sugar

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 1:12pm PST 
These are great tips. Thanks for sharing them.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 4:37pm PST 
Thank you.
[notify]

Ginger

Head of Ranch- Security

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 9:22pm PST 
Great info Happens to poor Ging sometimes on her back legs. She'll turn the corner to fast or try and get up too fast from out wood floors and her back legs slip out from under her.

Edited by author Mon Nov 28, '11 9:24pm PST

[notify]
Jackson

Christmas Eve- Baby

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 3:46am PST 
We use the backing/matting you place under rugs (to keep the rugs in place & non-slip) on the non-carpeted areas of our home frequented (hallways & certain paths) by Jackson. The backing comes in various packaged sizes, or you can customize the cut, or buy the backing in yards from a fabric store. It's light & transferable and just requires some shaking to clean. An inexpensive solution that has worked well for us.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 5:25am PST 
As a grromer, I would like to point out that often it is as simple as just trimming the hair off the bottoms of the feet. Just follow along the edges of the pads.
This hair gets really long in older dogs for some reason and is extremely slippery on bare floors.
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 9:11am PST 
way to goway to goway to go
[notify]
b

zzzzzzzz...

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 11:22am PST 
It also depends on how large the dog is.. my 100lb+ 14 year old dog didn't benefit from wax applications (we've tried all sorts) just because it doesn't provide the amount of friction he needs. So we use rubber-soled booties for him instead.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 12:32pm PST 
We had an older dog that was slipping on the floors. We just put down floor runners or rugs so that the dog felt safe going across the floor
[notify]
Happy

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 3:21pm PST 
My 12 year old Siberian Husky actually mastered the wood floor slide but it doesn't always work out when she tries it and she still gets the stutter steps. I put booties on her feet but she refuses to put them on unless she sees snow outside. I tried the wax thing you suggested but unfortunately the amount of force she exerts when she takes a step or runs is too much and she ends up slipping still. For me the only thing that worked was putting runner rugs in the hallways and to cover the high traffic areas.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2