GO!

Outgrowing doggy day care?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '11 3:35pm PST 
Koorazh has been going to day care while I go to work three days a week for about four years now. When I ask him if he wants to go to day care, he always runs over, wagging his tail and licks me. But suddenly in the last week or so when I go to drop him off in the morning and hand the leash to the caretakers -- all of whom he knows and loves -- he has started doubling back to come to me and makes as if he wants to leave with me. He ultimately goes in reluctantly. The dog care folks say they see this sometimes with dogs as they get older -- that the level of stimulation of being with 20+ other dogs is just too much. However, they cited the example of a dog that was ten. Koorazh will be eight in the spring. Could he be getting too old for day care already?
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '11 6:12pm PST 
Oh yeah, he's plenty old enough to not want to hang around young dogs all day. Young dogs are annoying to many older dogs. Not to mention, he might really not want to have to run and play all day anymore.

Even between 3-4 years old a half day was more than enough for Daisy.
[notify]
Maya-Living- in the UK

Pet me please?

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 4:43am PST 
It always depends on the dog, at my husbands work they still have dogs come in that are 10-12 years of age and still play quite happily in the group, they sometimes have a 14 year old come in once in a while and although she dosen't play with the other dogs she's still quite happy in herself. If he's decided he's had enough then cut him down to start with and see how he does and if he's happier staying at home then i'm sure you can wean him out completely.
[notify]

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 8:21am PST 
I'm really torn. The only alternative is to hire a walker, which means that he would be at home alone all day for those three days(average twelve hours) except for a 15-20 minute walk window -- under the best circumstances. We switched to doggy day care when I discovered the walker sometimes wasn't walking him, or was lying about when he had walked Koorazh, and Koorazh was sometimes left so long that he was pooping in the house (which, being a very clean dog, he never would do except under extreme stress -- he doesn't even like pooping in his own yard). Fired the walker, moved to doggy day care.

Hmm. Maybe I can see if they can give him some alone time in the middle of the day?
[notify]
Simba Zulu ~- In Loving- Memory

Beach Baby

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 9:16am PST 
Do they have a large crate, or other covered area, where your doggie could go if he wants some quiet time? If my dog wants some time away from the annoying cat, he just wanders into his crate and snoozes there for a while. I just lleave the door to the crate open all day and he can come and go as he likes.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 9:55am PST 
I would see if they could crate him or put him off by himself for a while once or twice through the day. I think you are on the right track with that. Sabs adores all the other dogs but will often go to her crate for some alone time. Its kind of like expecting Grandpa to put up with a daycare full of kids all the time.laugh out loudHe may like it for a bit but a break is nice.
[notify]
Shiloh ITD

GIMME BACON!

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 6:21pm PST 
Did you hire a "professional" walker from a well known biz, or just someone in your neighborhood? o.e
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sat Nov 5, '11 7:58am PST 
He has his own business and was bonded. In fact, that was the second such business I hired. The first pet sitter I hired had own business and is well established in the community and recommended by a neighbor. I left for a week and came back a day early. The yard was full of poop; he left me a message saying that he hadn't walked Koorazh all week "because it was cold." The cat's water was at half mast and covered with a layer of scum. Her box was full of poop. I guess I should just be grateful they were both alive.

I'm pretty soured on pet sitters generally, although I have one now that I trust. If I ever had to replace her, I would have to get a nanny cam.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 11:41am PST 
I work as a "canine playcare attendant." Typically we keep a very close eye on older dogs, and any altercations we've had have involved older dogs. I think it's just too much for most of them. Like someone else said, it's typically best for younger dogs who have the energy to play and mingle all day. Most of our older dogs just like to hang out, so we typically have an older less active group of mixed sized dogs who just chill outside together. They also get regular breaks in the nap room. Mention your concern to your daycare place and see what they say, if they can give him a long midday nap inside or something similar. If he's not enjoying it, you don't want him to keep going because he might start to resent the other dogs and get cranky.

As for a walker, look for a reputable company, I prefer that over an individual so that you have backup. You also want them to be licensed and insured.
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 7:38am PST 
Thanks. Yes, I will follow up with the daycare. He seems to need shorter walks now too -- at least, he starts either pulling for home or dragging twenty feet behind like a big furry lead balloon. But he's only seven, and in perfect health!

Re the pet sitters, yes, they were insured and bonded. There is no professional license for pet sitters.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2