My poor Taylor is having a hard time.

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Maggie

Maggie aka "the- nibbler"

Barked: Fri Oct 21, '11 11:59pm PST 
Hi there:
I'm so sorry about Taylor. I know how hard this is and "yes" I've dealt with cognitive dysfunction with one of my many dogs.

Another product that you can try that has been successful in many pets is called Cholodin and would be used in place of the drug Anipryl.

I think it's worth looking into. Here's a link so you can check it out if you want. Cholodin For Dogs.

Regarding DM, you must feed him a healthy natural diet - forget kibble if possible. Look to a better food like The Honest Kitchen or another better brand that is closer to home made. Antioxidants are a must. Fish oil - a good fish oil like this is also critical and it must be free of toxins such as heavy metals. I also recommend you read this page from Dr. Schoen and take his advice on the other supplements such a vitamin B complex, vitamin C, selenium and the others.

Don't give up. Use a sling to help Taylor get around. I hope this helps.

Janie
www.YourOldDog.net
www.YourOldDog.com

Edited by author Tue Nov 1, '11 3:27pm PST

Approved by forums moderator
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Sat Oct 22, '11 8:29am PST 
Long posts are allowed and I'm glad you feel comfy to vent here. I don't have any feedback about the diapers, but I'm sure someone else will. I really hope you see improvement with the medication. I know as we get older, our families do the best they can determining our "quality of life". Do we still love to do the things we loved when we were younger...walking, playing, eating...all the stuff where we give the good ol tail wag dog

I do hope and pray that you feel better and the glimpses of the happy happy taylor continue to grow. Good luck Taylor

hughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Maggie

Maggie aka "the- nibbler"

Barked: Sat Oct 22, '11 10:15am PST 
Hi there:
Pooch pants are nice and I've used them many times over the years. They are reusable and they fit nicely. I would look into them. Here's a link They have larger sizes.

If you haven't done so, please read my other recommendations for your beautiful boy regarding CD and DM. I posted it after your last comment.

Janie

Edited by moderator Tue Nov 1, '11 2:30pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Oct 22, '11 5:12pm PST 
Taylor,hughughughughughughughughughughug to you and your Mommy for all you are dealing with now and all you have been through. It's always hard to watch any beloved person or pet decline. Long posts are more than acceptable. I can't type fast enough,though. Venting is also more than expected and I have found Dogster is the safest place to vent about our pups because our friends will be here to understand and support us when we do feel the need. When others don't understand,Dogsters will so feel free to vent and share anytime.wishes
to you and Taylor on his treatment.I agree with staying on the food you already use or one others have suggested and it wouldn't hurt to try the suppliments as well. Take care and we look forward to more updates as Taylor starts and continues his treatment.
[notify]
Buddy

bouncy pup

Barked: Tue Oct 25, '11 6:12am PST 
ahh poor taylor your post was very upsetting to read, hope the medication helps him a bit. thinking of him
[notify]
Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Tue Oct 25, '11 12:27pm PST 
Taylor,

Thank you for sharing the challenges you're facing as you care for Taylor. I'm in the early stages of CCD and can learn through your experience. I'm touched by your posts and by the way everyone has rallied to support you on this forum. hail
[notify]
Taylor

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 12:19pm PST 
Hello everyone. Taylor is having an exceptionally good week. He hasn't had an accident since last weekend, and we started him on the anipryl. Were just going to see how it works and if it doesn't seem to be helping much we'll try the Cholodin that Maggie suggested. We have ordered him a bottom's up leash, and a supportive sling to help him on walks and up and down the stairs. Reading everyone's post and suggestions has made me really positive lately, I think it's rubbing off on Taylor he was able to walk almost a mile yesterday! That is the most we gone since he started showing symptoms of the DM, the DGP is really helping him

I know you recommend for us to put him on the honest kitchen but that's just not possible.It would cost over 400 hundred dollars to feed him and my other dogs that food, it would be different if they were little dogs but they are all in the 80 pound range, 1 box of honest kitchen would only last 5 days. He and all my other dogs are on a rotation diet of Taste of the wild, Canidae, Earthborn holistic, natures variety and Fromm. That's the best I can do right now.

He is already on supplements he gets fish oil, selenium, vitamin b, vitamin c, Glucosamine, and DGP. I am so sorry that you have this disease also Grace. I'm glad that my story has helped you hopefully you can bring something away from this thread use it for Grace. Thank you for all of your support, I will keep you updated on Taylor's progress. He turns 14 next Wednesday! Were having a special cake made for him at a local dog bakery.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 1:35pm PST 
I am so glad to hear that Taylor his having a good week. Hopefully that week will turn into months and years. I will continue to pray for Taylor and send him positive thoughts. Way to go Taylor, you show em!!

hughughughug
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 4:06pm PST 
Taylor & Mommy?,
So glad to hear that you had a good week!!! I'm sure keeping him on his regular food is fine. What you are feeding is better than the prescription diet the vet would give and since he and your other dogs do well on it,especially with trying medication why complicate things. We hope that the medication helps bring Taylor back to you and acting like his old self for a very long time!!!cheercheercheerhappy dancehappy dancehappy dance for Taylor feeling better!!
[notify]
Clyde

Barked: Fri Oct 28, '11 5:39pm PST 
Dodger's List is a group support for dogs with back issues. They have information on getting doggie diapers. http://www.dodgerslist.com/
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5