GO!

Any suggestions

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 8:43am PST 
Sabs was born with a slightly twisted back leg. The vet and I both agreed that it did not look that bad and should straighten out or at least not get worse. It did get worse. As she got older and heavier it continued to turn inward until it had rotated her hip joint out of place. She is an exceptionally high drive dog and until recently you would never have known she had a problem. Now the leg is just used for balance, it will not hold her weight. My problem is with exercise and play. She still wants to play with the other dogs but they bump into her and knock her down. She also still wants to run with me but she stumbles a lot. Any suggestions? I want her to be happy but not get hurt.
[notify]
Maggie

Maggie aka "the- nibbler"

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '11 10:59pm PST 
Awe, I'm sorry about Sabs. I was thinking that maybe a brace of some kind would help support the back leg and hip area. Orthotics are expensive, but you could probably get something that would really help. Here's a link that might be helpful:handicappedpets.com

Janie
www.yourolddog.com
www.yourolddog.comdog
[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '11 6:41am PST 
I hate to even suggest this,but might she be better off without the leg? I know in most cases the dogs return to normal after healing and seem not to realize the leg is gone.Giving up the leg might also avoid eventual issues with the leg becoming painful at the hip joint. Just an idea.
[notify]

Sabi

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '11 7:24am PST 
If I had braced it when she was a pup we likely could have straightened it. She is almost 10 now and being a GSD probably only has 2-3 years left with me. I just feel bad always leaving her out of the games and walks. I will check into a brace for her but even if she was younger no surgery is an option. She doesn't metabolize the anesthetic very well and her spay surgery almost killed her.
[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '11 9:25am PST 
I can understand why surgery is not an option I wouldn't take the risk either. I was simply trying to suggest an option.Knowing more of the circumstances I can see that it isn't one. Letting her play as much as she can or her condition allows is probably the best you can do. I do hope the brace is available and does help. It's alwaysso hard to decide the best options for a senior dog our thoughts,prayers and best wishes are with you both.
Mika,Kai&Mom
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 12:34am PST 
Does she like swimming? That's great exercise and would be easy on her leg. It could help build up some muscle that might help her mobility on land as well.

Other than that, are you giving any kind of joint supplement? Not sure how much it would help with her issue but it's worth looking into.

hug
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 8:50am PST 
onyx has a good point there!
swimming is a very good exersise and fun as well.
i knew a dog that had a twisted back leg,from birth...
the docter broke his leg on three places when he was about two and reset it.
but he was young and even for boy,that is his name,it was a hard procedure and his leg is a weak point on his body.
i think you can try to play one on one games with him,like tug and war,sniff sniff games and games with kongs ...
it is a nice way to spent time with him and it may make him feel better...
because what is better than playing with the mom or dadshrug
and i like the swimming idea..
it is a good option.
and if the walks are really really an issue,think about a canine wheel chair for his back part...
he will walk any way than,without pressure on the back leg!

Edited by author Fri Sep 16, '11 8:51am PST

[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 9:39am PST 
She has been on joint supplements since age 3 when things started to look grim. No one expected her to reach 85 lbs. On the up side the vet said she would not make it past 5 or 6 and she is 10 now. I do take her swimming as often as I can but pool time is expensive. She has worked most of her life and until about a year ago mobility was not a problem. I guess she is just getting old.
[notify]
Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 2:31pm PST 
I empathize with you. It's difficult to come to terms when our best friends begin to have limitations due to age. I've just recently noticed some cognitive issues. My heart is still aching cry

Sabi can still work just maybe at a different job. Try to find an activity that isn't physical that the both of you can look forward to. Like swimming once a week snoopy
My two are therapy dogs, they really look forward to their visits. I've experienced some magical moments watching them do volunteer work
little angel
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 10:39pm PST 
Grace wave Sabi as a therapy dog would horrify people. She is very opinionated(loudly). My neighbors have requested that I not walk her too early or too late. The all love her, but she figures the more people know shes around the better. I use her as an "auntie" for the babies we rescue because she is really good with pups we just don't always have one to keep her busy. I will examine the possibility of a job for her though. Thanks for the suggestion.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2