GO!

so I'm playing devil's advocate here...

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Topic closed to new posts.
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 12:46pm PST 
what can the Senior dog forum really offer? There have been questions about medical care or food for senior dogs in their respective forums for as long as I've been on here, and I'm betting that they'll continue to, because the food and vet care experts hang out on those forums.

And the training section has questions about training old dogs sometimes... Honestly what about seniors deserves it's own forum, when questions will probably answered faster and with more knowledge in other, busier forums?

I'm not trying to bash on this forum, (see my title!) but wanted to know what makes it valuable to people. Your opinions appreciated.

(And this is coming from me as Ginger, who was 10 when I got her and 11 when I lost her. frown I never thought of her as a "senior" dog, she was just a dog who happened to have some years on her. I don't like to pidgeonhole older dogs as less capable.)
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 1:06pm PST 
I guess I can kind of at least get this one from the standpoint that if I'm asking a question about a senior dog, I'm more likely to get answers from owners who ALSO have senior dogs.

It's one thing to talk about something, quite another if you are living through it. I don't mean to denigrate those who have immense academic knowledge but there are certain small nuances and little things that only people know who have been through or are going through the exact same thing.

But on the flipside, this just seems like something that will wind up with a lot of crossposting - both here, and in the Health subforum.

Back to what I was saying...one of the reasons I don't post in B&T very much is because a lot of the active members there own little dogs and - not to denigrate their wealth of knowledge - but answers I've gotten in the past and answers I've seen others give make me think they do not understand some of those small "nuances" about owning bigger dogs. Similarly advice I might give could be completely inapplicable for little dogs - I flat out wouldn't know, because I've never owned nor worked around nor spent a lot of time with little dogs. Not that I don't like them - I do, I'm just a big dog guy and most of the people I know are as well.

So I can easily imagine that people who own senior dogs might appreciate a place to ask questions that might be more applicable to senior dogs. I don't own a senior dog and I've never really spent extensive time with one (although some neighbors/friends/relatives do have senior dogs) and yeah, there's nothing to stop me posting here or giving advice or anything but probably the bulk of replies are going to be from people in the same situation.

Edited by author Mon Mar 14, '11 1:09pm PST

[notify]
Hucky

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 1:18pm PST 
Ginger, you are 100% right. I don't think there should even be a small dog forum, and now, there's a wet food forum. Wet food, dry food should all be under one catagory.

Sampson, I understand your point also, but, I have 2 young dogs now, and there's really no reason for me to be in this forum right now except for curiousity to see what it was about. And I'm sure others with younger dogs will by pass this forum. Someone with an older dog could miss out on some good advice because they are in a catorgorized forum rather then a general one. shrug And yes, you are right that there will be alot of cross posting.

I come to the forums mainly to educate myself. Yeah, I will throw my 2 cents in and reply on some forums, but I rarely go into the ones that really don't concern me. Even though I have had senior dogs in the past, I don't right now, so this forum really wouldn't concern me.

Edited by author Mon Mar 14, '11 1:26pm PST

[notify]

The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 1:41pm PST 
There should be a senior forum because there is a puppy forum. Just becaues you have a senior dog and go to the forum doesnt mean you treat yoru dog like a sick decrepit thing. Also having an old dog presents its own set of challenges and experiences.
[notify]
Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 2:12pm PST 
sometimes living with a senior dog you need a little support from others living with one.

not really needing answers , just understanding
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 2:30pm PST 
I think this is a brilliant forum. Senior dogs do differ from younger dogs obviously and why shouldn't they have a forum dedicated to the ups and downs of senior dog ownership?

I think it's quite sad how much animosity has been going on lately about the small dog forum and now this one. It appears to me that just because certain members feel they don't have a dog that fits that particular forum there shouldn't be one, end of. And just to clarify, i'm not overly fussed with the small dog forum and am certainly not impressed with the wet food forum, but i don't keep harping on about it or try to ruin it for others who might find it beneficial. As i don't care for the wet food forum i simply don't post there, no skin off my nose.
[notify]
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 2:48pm PST 
While I'm not enamored with a lot of the new forums, this one I think is a good idea. A lot of wisdom can be passed here, and for good and fortunate dog owners, this is a forum that will be of use to all of us someday.

I really don't know how to word it, but I kind of like the idea of senior dogs getting their own little special niche, or pedestal if you will. It's a great place to advocate for them, maybe give them more of a presence and make them more appealing. A person who happens across this forum may consider adopting an older dog.

Of course I'm not a psychic and that may not be true, but a rescue-fanatic can dream. smile

Edited by author Mon Mar 14, '11 2:49pm PST

[notify]
Dogster HQ

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 3:26pm PST 
Hey everyfur,

Please keep the discussions in the Senior Dog Forum about sharing advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy.

Discussions about whether or not Dogster needs Forums that address other topics do not belong in this Forum. As many of you know, similar discussions in other Forums were closed recently, and they do not need to be brought up again here.

This is a friendly reminder to please address all of your questions and concerns about content on Dogster, directly with HQ, rather than in the public Forums.

You may do so by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of all pages on the site.

way to go

puppy HQ
Dogster HQ

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 3:30pm PST 
Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Dogster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ