GO!

Coat Changes

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 11:19am PST 
I noticed some changes in the color of Harley's coat on his back. Its getting lighter, some graying but some that looks like its "blonding". I know to expect their muzzles and faces to change color. Is this normal for their backs to change? He's 7 1/2 years old.
[notify]
Suzie- Rest in- peace- beautiful

Let me RUN!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 11:27am PST 
Suzie used to be really dark along her back.. As she got older the black "saddle" shrunk to the way it is now. Shes also started gonig wavy cloud 9

My Trix used to have more black than she does... So Id say coat change is pretty normal smile
[notify]
Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 12:08pm PST 
Sam changed SOOOO much, He used to be all black/white. Now he is gray/green/white. He used to have dark rings around his eyes and a really great contrast. I will scan and upload a baby pic of him one day. He also had small black spots in his mouth and now they are big like in a chow...
[notify]

Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 12:37pm PST 
I luv the graying!! Give me a gray muzzle to love any day of the week!! kissing Turner started to gray withing the last couple of years - he's only 7 1/2!! kissing
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 1:39pm PST 
When Harley was a puppy, he was a pure blue merle. As he grew up, his spots grew together and he turned into a tri-color of black, brown and white with almost no sign of the blue merle.

The other day, I noticed the change in the coat and, at first, couldn't tell if it was a color change or thinning. Then we got real close and noticed it is a color change (thankfully...I know thinning can be a sign of medical issue).

I have two that are getting older (Hershey will be 10 in a couple months) and I notice every change...they worry this ole momma!
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 2:02pm PST 
I look in the mirror and see more grey everyday - don't sweat it!! hamster dance
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 7:11pm PST 
Sanka used to be like a deep dark charcoal black. But now he's more bluish. I mean, when you look at him, you'll still see black, but compared to what it used to be, it's really lightened up and seems to have a blue tinge to it.
[notify]
Dingo

The only limit- is the end of- the trail

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 9:21am PST 
Dingo probly doesn't qualify as a senior yet at 6.5 years old. But he started going silver on his muzzle at 2yrs old, by 4 all the black on his muzzle was gone, some of it was replaced by a honey yellow though. In the past year or two his eyebrows have started to fade as well.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 1:37pm PST 
Max had a goatee when he was a baby and it has spread to his upper lips and now to his eyebrows. Looks pretty cute. He has a lot of white hairs on his underside now too. The double white hairs that were on his head that looked like a foxtail stuck under his fur is gone though.

I cannot tell if the front edge of his ears are graying or not. They curl up and might be reflecting the light different from the rest of his ear and look gray but his fur is so shiny. Had the same problem with Sassy - after a good deshedding session she was super shiny and looked gray on her back.

He is blacker now than he used to be because he eats raw and I am after the rusty/gray undercoat faster than I used to be.
[notify]