GO!

Dragging Back Paws

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 2:22pm PST 
Turner is only 7 and is starting to drag his back paws. It's so sad. He doesn't seem to be in pain but I think I'm gonna start him on glucosamine....

What do you guys thing...?thinking
[notify]
Lantis

I love small- dogs..

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 2:40pm PST 
What do you mean dragging? Are his feet not turning "down" the right way when he steps?
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 3:14pm PST 
No, like when he walks he can't pick his back legs all the way up and the top of his toes/knuckles drag just a bit on the carpet. I can really notice it in the snow. You will see little lines where his back legs are just skimming across the snow...

He's not in pain - when he was young I was told by a well known dog breeder that he has an slope in his back end and that later in life (he's 7 now) he may have hip/walking problems....

Like I said, it's just starting and I figure if I can do some maintenance on it - why not? thinking
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 3:19pm PST 
When testing for proper neurological function, my vet would flip a dog's paws and see how quickly the dog would readjust it to it's normal position. I think it's basic reflex for a dog to flip their paws this way, so dragging could signify some neurological problems, really not rare in older dogs.

Just my guess, I'm no professional silenced. Hope you figure it out!
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 3:22pm PST 
Does he fall over at all? Scuff his nails? A lady i walk with has a 10 year old SBT that has started dragging her paws and falling over at times. Sounds similar to how you're describing Turner. Can't remember the exact name of what Tara has but it's something to do with her spine and neck and a fusing of a disc or something thinking
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 4:02pm PST 
He has not fallen over - ever. It's like he doesn't have the strength to pick the paw all the way up...

I've done the neurological paw flip - he's fine....
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 4:29pm PST 
Sassy did have the neurological problem, degenerative myelopathy, where the rear foot doesn't right itself properly. Feeding loads of protein helped keep her stronger. Walking her through a ladder so she picked up the rear feet helped. Walking through ground cover would do the same thing I suspect. A friend with a geriatric siberian took him to hunt bunnies in 2' juniper bushes at the park every day. He sure lifted up those rear feet nice and snappy!

I did give her a joint supplement and she responded brilliantly. The ones with MSM and the usual other two helped more than glucosamine and chondroitin alone.

Once the back feet were in really bad shape I just put booties on so the feet wouldn't get rubbed raw. Worked great.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 4:30pm PST 
I started Dahlia on glucosamine a few weeks ago, when I noticed her hips were sore after a good run in the greenbelt. A friend has suggested sprinkling gelatin over her food as well. After all the $ I've shelled out on vets this past week, I'll do any that will keep her onery self around longer.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 4:53pm PST 
I used glucosamine before and it helped some. But the dogs were much older. I think I'll just go get some and try it, can't hurt at this point! I think the years of frisbee are kicking in. I used to take him to a K9 Chiropractor in FL - boy do I miss him! That was my concern, his hips are not clicking and I didn't know if I was missing something. Wish I could find a competent vet here...frown
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:07pm PST 
I have Dahlia on the liquid version and sprinkle it over her food. However, she is grounded for the next two weeks, so it will take some time to build up her stamina again.

We have great vets here, and my empty wallet shows it. laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3