GO!

A Scottie Behavior Question

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mr Duffy- McDuff CSE- CGC

I love- the dog- park!

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '07 6:25am PST 
Duff loves the cat. He has since the first day he came home. They are acutally friends and he allows the cat to wash his face. They play rough and tumbel and of course there is The Chase. Sometimes the cat chases Duff! If the play goes on long enough, Duff tends to get too rough for the cat and he yowls and complains. Duff has never drawn blood or seriously hurt the cat.

I am told by Scottie breeders and repeat owners that Duffy will eventually kill the cat. That it will be instinctual and he won't be able to help himself. So, what do you think ... Agree or disagree?

(Just so you know, they are never unsupervised. Duff is always crated when no one is home)thinking
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '07 6:23pm PST 
I don't have a cat, but i do know that it's usually typical of scotties to see another smaller creature as something to chase, attack or play with.

we have a chinchilla (small rodent) and Allee goes crazy and barks and howls just when she sees me get Chilly out of the cage. She is also quite dominant

as far as killing the cat i am not sure
[notify]
tommy

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '07 6:23pm PST 
my scottie is 3months and LOVES our cats. he barks at them but the cats dont let him get close enough to do anything. he's my first scottie and ive only had him a couple weeks so i cant give pro advice. i think as long as there never alone than it's fine. i would maybe try to train him to stay away from the cats instead of being friends. when he's older he might get a little dominant with him and could hurt him. so just make sure he knows to respect the cat
[notify]

Cici

Don't call me if- there is no- food!!!!!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 9:36pm PST 
I have had scotties for nearly 20 years. There is always a chance that the scottie would kill the cat, but I don't think it is a definate. Kinda seems like to me if the scottie instinct was going to take over and make him kill the cat it would have done so by now. IMHO, you should just make sure that they are supervised. My older scottie is very playful with my new puppy, but when she has had enough play time she gets testy.
[notify]