GO!

Bath time!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Augustus

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 12:41pm PST 
I finally was able to get Augie down to the Wag and Wash self serve dog wash last night. I wash my other pups (Sheperds) in the bathtub, but he is too big and furry. They have these big tubs to wash and then a drying station and my biy tolerated it all quite well.

He ended up a 100lb stuffed animal! So soft and fuzzy...

How do ya'll wash you Saints? And how often?

Snow tomorrow so he'll be back to mud by Friday, but it is so nice to have him clean and fuzzy today!
[notify]
Shoe-Toe

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:21pm PST 
Our mommy is a dog groomer so we get a bath at avery other month or so, You do not want to bath them often becase you would washing way the oils.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:34pm PST 
Moose only gets a bath on super hot days. Luckily he doesn't have a funky smell, so I don't have to worry about it. When he is bathed, I take him outside and bath him with the garden hose. That way I don't have to clean out the tub from tons of fur.

I did take him to a self serve dog wash once and I was blown away by how much it cost. $15 . I was thinking it would cost, maybe $10, but 15 was enough for me never to use it again.
[notify]

Gatsby

Better than the- whole bunch put- together

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 6:20am PST 
We try not to give Gatsby tons of baths, although he doesn't mind it. We either send him for grooming, which could be considered expensive, but we think is worth it, he gets a bath, nail trim, hair cut (if he needs it), ear wash, dry, plus before hand he gets play time with the other dogs.

However, if he gets disgusting, i.e. muddy or smelly (which isn't often) we stick him in the tub and give him a quick bath. He's pretty good in the tub, as he grew up getting baths in there. I've never ever heard of a self-serve dog wash, and it's my new mission in life to find one. They also make a dry-shampoo for dogs, that is an interesting fix if it's just a weird smell.
[notify]
Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 2:58pm PST 
I wash Sarge when he gets super muddy or just overly dirty. He's very accommodating and will put up with a lot. I switched from bath to shower as he tolerates it. I'll put some bathwater in and give him the "Stand" command. I can wash his legs, feet, and undercarriage that way. Drain the water and switch to shower mode. He just sits there (or stands if asked) and I can get all the soap off his head, shoulders, butt, and back that way.

The shower is a great way to get all of that excess soap off. Otherwise you'll resort to dipping cup after cup of water on him to get the soap off. Hopefully, your dog is just as tolerant. Showers make the job very easy.
[notify]
Sebastian

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 7:19am PST 
I wash Sebastian once or twice a month because he plays with other dogs everyday at daycamp and can come home smelling quite disgusting. He does well with it. I either send him to have him groomed or take him to Petco and wash him myself. I bring my own shampoo and conditioner for him and clean his ears too. I like it because it only costs $10 and they clean up all the mess for you. THey can provide you with the shampoo/conditioner at no added cost. I just bring my own because I am quite picky. wink
[notify]